Running a piece of equipment, most often an engine or other powerplant, way beyond it's rated maximum, usually in an emergency situation.
Usually, denoted by taking the engine revs or temperature up into the red area on an indicator dial, risking permanent damage or catastrophic failure.
"How fast will that thing go ?"
"One fifty five, but after one forty you'll be redlining"
A long, thin, flying coffin made by McDonnel Douglas. Exists in a number of poisonous variants such as the MD-82. Appalling deep-stall characteristics, ludicrously high landing speed even with full flap, and delightful flame-out prone engines. The design was originated by the Japanese in 1944 as a Kamikaze weapon, but was deemed too unstable and unsafe. Makes pilots wish they were flying something safe and stable, like one of the early Illyushins.
"What the hell's that noise ?"
"Oh, just an MD-80 clawing its way to V1"
R.A.F. slang for a C-130 "Hercules" transport aircraft and its derivatives. Generally considered a term of affection for the aircraft type.
"We'll have to hold short, I just heard there's a Fat Albert on finals."
Very, very strong rough cider, sometimes as much as 10% alcohol by volume - 8% is not uncommon. Can range in taste from innocuously fruity and bland to eye-wateringly sharp.
"What do you want ?"
"I'll have a pint of Bideford Brainblaster".
"Are you mad ? That stuff's suicider !"
One who, while dressed in brightly coloured silly clothes and an inadequate helmet, rides a (racing) bicycle (often in heavy urban or rush-hour traffic) at high speed and without signls, as if they have no interest in their own safety or that of others, and genuinely wish to die as soon as possible in a multi-vehicle collision of their own making. They invariably look offended if forced to give way to cars, whatever the circumstances. See also kamikaze
"I nearly got T-boned by a Suicyclist running a red light in my way in this morning".
A light aircraft, particularly a single-engined private aircraft with limited range and performance; used perjoratively by "real" pilots.
"The day job is jockeying 777's, but I have a Cessna puddle-jumper for the weekends".
The Beer Gorilla is, despite its size and strength, a remarkably stealthy creature. Beer Gorillas only come out very late at night or in the early hours of the morning. They stalk their prey - invariably, intoxicaed males - with great cunning, folloing them to their place of dwelling.
The Beer Gorilla then waits patiently until all the occupants of the preisesare asleep and/or uncosncious before commencing its rampage. Sometimes the Gorilla will have sneaked in to the house after the drunken humans, and concelaed itself; on other occasions, it will employ its remarkable cimbing skills to enter via an upstairs window, or in extreme cases, a chimney - like a sort of Sith Santa Claus.
Once inside the premises, the Gorilla proceeds to trash te place. Typical activities incude:
- Eating every item of food in the premises and leaving the open containers scattered around (sometimes the Gorillla will order in a takeaway if insufficent cmestibles re to hand.
- Leaving a kettle, or a suacepan containing eggs, on the stove to boil dry
- Vomiting in a wide range of locations
- Mis-connecting hi-fi equipment in an attempt to access encrypted satellite channels without the proper equipment
- leavng refirdgerator and freezer doorsope just enough to ensure the contents spoil
- Depositing turds of gargantuan proportions in lavatoies, then failing to flush. Often, muc work with a spade, chisel and bilhook is needed the following day to disrupt the structure of thse megaturds to the point where they will pass the U-bend, st hey have a tendency to set like cement.
- urinating in beverage containers
- Using an electric razor on domestic pets in a way that amuses intoxicated h8umns, but not the pets involved.
- Arranging items of street furniture (moveable or fixed) in various artistic patterns trougout the property
- Placing a complete stranger, in an unconscious and partially or completely unclothed state, on a couch, floor or sofa. Often the Gorilla will swap such individuals from other locations
they visit, ensuring that when they awake, niether they nor the normal occupants have any idea of how they came to b there, or where their clothing and posessions are.
The Gorilla will also damge houehold fiztures andfittings in peculiar and inexplicable ways, and introduce substances such as floor polish, multisurface cleaner, and talcum powder into the mouths of sleeping residents, then disposing of any fruit juice or other beverages which might be used to disperse the resultant dry mout and awful taste.
They will also conceal or destroy all stocks of tea, coffee, and medications suitable for relieving hangovers.
In the process of performing the above tasks, the Gorilla will also overturn furniture, strew clothes around, and cause utter chaos, like a quiet but extremely thorough Poltergeist.
"Who are you, and wha are you doing on my sofa ?"
"Search me .... the Beer Gorilla must have broght me. Say, where's my clothes ?
"Oh my GOD !"
"SHIT ! That bloody Beer Gorilla's followed us home AGAIN !"