1. A common Japanese girl's name meaning 'lily.'
2. Language spoken in the islands of New Guinea and the Amazon.
3. A genre of sexually explicit anime
literally meaning Girls Love. It is a Japanese jargon term for content and a genre involving love between women in manga
, and related Japanese media. Yuri can focus either on the sexual or the emotional aspects of the relationship, the latter sometimes being called shōjo-ai
by western fans.
The themes yuri deals with have their roots in the Japanese lesbian literature of early twentieth century, with pieces such as Yaneura no Nishojo by Nobuko Yoshiya. Nevertheless, it is not until the 1970s that lesbian-themed works began to appear in manga, by the hand of artists such as Ryoko Yamagishi and Riyoko Ikeda. The 1990s brought new trends in manga
, as well as in dōjinshi
productions, along with more acceptance for this kind of content. In 2003 the first manga
magazine specifically dedicated to yuri was launched under the name Yuri Shimai, followed by its revival Comic Yuri Hime, launched after the former was discontinued in 2004.
1. Hello Yuri! Welcome to Japan!
2. People living in the Amazons speak yuri.
3. I bought the new volume of this yuri manga