Necessary; vital; of the utmost importance
Water is essential for life.
Competition of speed in which the competitors start equidistant to a certain point that all racers attempt to reach. Whomever reaches said point first wins the race.
I finished third in the twenty-man race.
To brag. Gloating usually involves bringing up someone else's failures, not just the gloater's successes.
He was gloating about his third-place finish compared to my twenty-seventh.
To suddenly keep unusually quiet, often in regards to the divulging of information.
Carol clammed up about the incident at the bakery, so we never did find out whatever happened to Nate.
1) In pain from a previous injury. When sore, there is still some pain, but it is gradually decreasing.
2) An injury that is healing slowly.
3) Upset about an incident that took place some time ago.
1) I'm sore from that basketball game; I think I need to condition myself better.
2) That sore on your leg is still there, eh?
3) Lonnie's pretty sore about the fact that Mitch broke his bike.
Frustrated or angry; annoyed.
Marty's stalling has got me cheesed off.
An animated television show. It does not feature real actors, except when using voices.
Cartoons are popular with the children.