The "classic" goth music scene and the industrial music scene, there are people on both sides who shun the other. Some goths who like the "classic" look of velvet and lace look down upon goths who prefer fishnet and leather. Some goths who like pop-culture entertainments and things that are lighthearted are ostracized by others who believe that nothing is worthwhile unless it is obscure and dark. Like any culture, it has divisions and cliques.
Being goth is, in the end, a form of tribalism, a way for people of like interests and mindset to find each other and have a place to belong. Like most tribes, goths will often try to keep out those who are not "of" the tribe (hence the pretentiousness and disdain for "poseurs"). But it can also be a wonderfully welcoming and comfortable place for those who do fit in, and full of patience and enthusiasm for people who are genuinely interested in finding out what we're about. Goths will try to keep out those who don't belong and those who are interested in exploiting us because we look different and have interests outside the mainstream; but we will also try to protect our own. For someone who doesn't feel that they really "fit in" with mainstream culture, discovering gothdom can be a wonderful feeling.
Of course, this is just the URBAN definition - we needn't forget the extinct Germanic tribe.
However, another note, there is no such thing as "goth" literature, or "goth" architecture, despite what many would lead you to believe. Please refer to gothic
1. People, usually quiet misfits, who are often quite intelligent and creative. They tend to focus on the darker side of life, particularly human nature.
2. more common High school/college students who, by dressing in black and listening to heavy metal, attempt to make sure everyone around them is aware of how cool and individualistic they are. That their individualism centers on dressing, thinking, and acting like everyone else in the clique doesn't seem to bother them. Can often be found writing bad psuedo-suicidal poetry in wirebound notebooks. They usually drop the facade as soon as they realize that no one around them, including their parents, is shocked any more.
1. "Hey, see the goth over there? Go ask to see her artwork. It's really cool."
2. "Ohmigod, did you, like, read the new Anne Rice book? I am, like, so glad I'm a goth!"
In recent years the music industry has applied the term “Goth” rather broadly to various musical styles, which they seem unable to categorise, resulting in some confusion between various genres and the fans thereof. Unlike many of the subcultures than went before Goth does not seek to rebel against society, highlight its flaws (as was the case with the punks of the 70s) or define itself in terms of opposition to other sub cultural groupings (as was the case with the mods and the rockers of the 60s). As press interest in the genre continues, other sections of society have begun to define normality as “that which is opposed to Goth,” a common mainstream reaction faced by all subcultures at one time or another.
we dont do it for attenton, we do it because we are individuals.we are just people who like different things,and we dont need any other groups making us feel like were lower than them. just because they are small minded idiots that clearly have nothing better to do with there life but to make others feel stupid just because were different. whatever u are u have a right to be it.so ignore anyone else that tries to be "clever" by shouting dumb stuff at u.
1#tonwie> errr look its a ditry lil goff.
2#townie> yeh b carful dey might try and cut ya wrist and suck ur blood.
goth just walks past thanking god they arnt that retarded!
2. People use this to describe themselves when they are ignorant little bastards that have nothing better to do in life than mope around, be depressed, and talk about suicide. There is a better label for these people: posers.
3. Usually creative, strong, independent thinkers who are fun to be around and generally don't care about popularity. They attract friends who are like them, who aren't necessarily gothic but enjoy a good time and know how to think for themselves. Even if people you label "gothic" and stay away from look scary, actually try talking to them. You'll find that generally they are funny and interesting and aren't afraid to say what they think.
4. Goth music. Buahaha. Good stuff. Think Nine Inch Nails. Yaay. o0
5. People are not always poser goths just because they like "poser" bands like Linkin Park and Evanescence. Though they are NOT goth bands, there are some truly gothic people who just enjoy their songs because they like the tunes and stuff. Just because a few of Evanescence's songs have the word "suicide" in them doesn't mean that all the people who like them cut themselves up for no apparent reason.
But sadly, there are very many people who call themselves goth, are all depressed and STUPID, and listen to those bands just because they think that they're going to be cool because they're listening to *ooh* death and suicide and brokennes... god, people like that make me angry. Sooo angry.
You: -Not listening- Zzzzz...
2. Rich ass kid who has nothing beter to do than whine: "I'm a goth, my life sucks, go away, I think I'll kill myself now, BTW do you know I'm actually a vampire?"
3. Some... person: "You know that goth girl that always looks uber scary? Well I actually talked to her, and she's really nice..."
4. Duh: Avril Lavigne = NOT goth music NEVER NEVER NOOOO
5. a) I guess I like Linkin Park and Evanescence, but I'm not a suicidal freak or anything... I just like the way their music sounds.
b) Lyk OMG i'm a goth and i can prove it look i LOVE evanescence and lp and i slit my wrist...
woo go gothic culture
The term "Gothic" has had many definitions over the course of history. I believe other definitions have about covered the origins, so I'll instead focus on the most contemporary incarnation.
Common "Gothic" Myths:
1) All goths are suicidal: If you yourself believe this, give yourself a good slap upside the head with a dictionary. The majority of Goths are fun-loving, happy people who view suicidal people as somewhat disgusting and do not include them in their definition of what is goth.
2) All goths wear black: Again, slap yourself upside the head with a dictionary if you firmly believe this. Any true goth will admit that they like wearing color on occasion. In particular, cybergoths enjoy very much the brightest colors known to the human mind.
3) All goths listen to marilyn manson: Sigh. Look, kids. Whether manson is goth or not I don't care to discuss, as there are valid arguments on both sides, but the fact is, a good chunk of true goths don't even LIKE manson. Some goths don't even like rock/metal/hardcore music. GASP!
Moreover, Gothic cultue is simply a very deep connection to the darker side of life, an acknowledgement that everything is not "peachy," and that things like sadness and grief are very real and must be dealt with in order to maintain a healthy mind and body.
"I'm not goth."