Someone, usually in an online game, who intentionally, and usually repeatedly, attempts to degrade anothers experience or torment them.
Examples of griefing:
1. Player vs player abuse: Singling out the same person and killing them over and over when they are defensless until hey log off.
2. Kill stealing: Repeatedly trying to steal another persons kills so that their time is wasted.
3. Verbal abuse: Spamming a person with vulgar, hatefull, or offensive messages.
4. Blocking: Getting in anothers way so they cannot move or get out of a particular area.
5. "Training": Triggering many monsters, almost always impossible to fight and survive, with the intention to either run someone out of an area or kill them indirectly if the server is not 'player vs player' enabled.
Griefing in massively multiplayer online role playing games are usually bannable on first offense and less common (thoguh still visably present).
Griefing is much more common on private servers for first person shooters like Counterstrike and Battlefield 1942.
Griefers and Powergamers are the 2 worst problems in online games today.
The term for someone who destroys other peoples creations in Minecraft. Often piss people off and have been banned multiple times. A famous league of griefers is Team Avolition. Many people are Avo wanna-be's, but they will never truly be as good at griefing as they are.
Steve: "What happened to my castle?"
Griefer: "I griefed you beotch!"
Server: "Griefer has been banned"
Steve: "Why must Avo grief us? Now there are so many wanna-be's"
Player 2: "I know man hours of work wasted by uncreative griefing"
People who try to make your life miserable on a MMO. Good greifers will still make your life miserable but you can still laugh at it. Bad greifers would be people who enjoy making your life suck and only the person doing the griefing finds the act funny.
On City of Heroes, come good griefers are Catharctic, Imeco, Sun Splitter, Forgotten Guardian, Phoenix of Syrinx, Cpt. Mule, and Fo Shizzle; where as the total dickhead griefers are people like Beef Cake, Grandpa Cath, Cyber Wolf Man, Kickblast, and Poser Cath.
An individual who uses online games, instant messaging, e-mail, or any other communication method to harass, obstruct, or in some way make an experience sour for another person.
In IM (instant messaging) a griefer might keep sending spam messages to someone, knowing the messages will overload the other person's computer.
In an MMORPG, a griefer might run around a spawn location shooting newbie
Someone who causes grief or a bad experience.
1.) An annoying asshole who goes into minecraft servers for the purpose of destroying structures that took hours to build, which usually requires you to rebuild from scratch.
Ugh, a griefer destroyed my entire castle while I was in the shower. Fml.
Someone on an Internet Forum Board, who repeatedly harasses another person, intending to drive them off the Forum, and/or ruining the entire Internet experience of the target by following them to other boards to continue the harassment.more...
Griefers are adept at following Forum rules while violating their spirit...or have managed to ingratiate themselves with Administrators, so that they rarely get punished for their actions.
Griefers are basically cowards who hide behind a screen name and would not have the sack to say to anyone's face, what they say to people online.
Tactics used by griefers:
1. Making "clever" comments - Making carefully crafted nasty comments to or about another member. The comments stay within the rules while violating the spirit of the rules.
2. Gang-banging or dogpiling: Recruiting others (usually their online friends) into joining them in targeting the victim.
3. Flame-baiting: See #1 above - done in order to goad the victim into responding in a manner in violation of the rules, out of anger - causing the victim to then be punished/banned by the Forum Administrator (pets of Forum Admins frequently do this and get away with it.)
4. Stalking: After driving the target off the Forum, following them to other Forums to continue the attacks.
5. Drive-by: Signing up under a different name in order to take a cheap shot at the target. Griefers also frequently use other tactics, including using a fake IP address when griefing, in order to avoid punishment.
A player in an online multiplayer game whose goal is to be as absolutely obnoxious to other players, typically for teh lulz
. This is traditionally actions such as team killing
, team wounding
, and spawn camping
. Note that it is a misconception among a large part of the internet
(particularly care bear
, and nublets
) that complaining to or about a griefer will deter them. In fact it is the opposite; this is the ultimate confirmation that they are annoying other players.
"LEAVE! LEAVE BEFORE THE ADMIN BANS YOU!" - Konane
"OMGGGG ADMIN BAN THE TKER!!!1!!111!!! HES A GRIEFER!1!!" - n00b who thinks there is an admin online