1.) Where folks from Phila. and southeastern PA go during the summer.
2.) The Jersey shore.
Rocky: "Yo, where you goin' this weekend?"
Adrian: "I'm goin' down the shore to my condo in Wildwood."
Mick: "Just watch out for all the bums parked in traffic on the Schuylkill and the ACX."
What people here in New Jersey
call going to the beach. What some people don't get, however, is that this is more the term used to discribe the trip taken while going "down the shore" from your home in an inland county or town. The drive to whichever beach town you are going to be spending time in is going down the shore, but once you're there you simply go to the beach.
Now that we're down the shore, let's head to the beach.
What everyone from Jersey and Pennsylvania calls going to the beach. Don't tell me people for Jersey don't say this cause I lived here all my life and trust me 97% of the people call it the shore. the other 3% being transplants from other states. There is nothing wrong with calling it the beach. Honestly I like the term beach better but it doesn't matter. La playa, shore, beach. whatever you call it it is fucking awesome.
Californian: Dude let's go to the beach
Jersian: Yo let's go down the shore
Mexican: Porque no vamos ir a la playa?
This term is used by people in the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware "tri-state area" to describe the general vicinity of the coastal barrier islands in relation to inland locations. People not familiar with the barrier islands of the mid-Atlantic coast are often confused by this term. "Why not just call it 'the beach'?" they say. This question reflects ignorance of the mid-Atlantic geography where the barrier islands form pleasant beach-fronts and bay-fronts both. Because of the narrow shape of these islands, one can easily access the beach and the bay, where there are different views and recreation activities available. So, when someone from, for example, Philly travels to the coast, they are not necessarily going to "the beach". They are going "down the shore". When they arrive to the barrier island and they roll down the windows and smell that salty breeze, they are "down the shore".
"Hey, are you going down the shore this weekend?"
"Well, actually, I'm down the shore right now! But yeah, I'll be down here this weekend too! Maybe we can go to the beach. Maybe we can go to the bay for a bit and watch the sunset. Maybe we could go to the boardwalk, get some salt water taffy, fries and pizza perhaps. Play some mini-golf, you know. Whatever we decide to do, it's gonna be great, cause we'll be DOWN THE SHORE the whole time!"
If you are from New Jersey the term "DOWN THE SHORE" means going to a shore town for more than just the beach. If you are simply going to the beach, you say "going to the beach". If you are going "down the shore" you are going to hang out on the boardwalk and hit up the bars at night.
Let's go down the shore to go to the beach, hang out on the boardwalk, and hit up Bar A at night.
Down the shore is the term used by people from New Jersey - specifically Northern Jersey (away from the shore area) - to describe going to the beach areas. Since New Jersey's beaches are all in the central and southern parts of the state rather than the Northern part of the state, which is blocked by New York City so there are no beaches, going "down the shore" means you're heading south. That's where the "down" part comes from. People who live near the beach wouldn't say "down the shore" because they're already living in that area. Once at the shore, if you're going to the beach you would just say "I'm going to the beach". But the term "down the shore" actually just refers to heading south towards the shore points on the New Jersey coast, or to the general shore area, because the Jersey Shore is more than beaches. It is also made up of boardwalks (with rides, food, water parks), bays, lagoons, many restaurants, etc. So if you are just going to hang out in those areas, you would probably just say "down the shore".
Girl from North Jersey: I'm going down the shore
for July Fourth weekend!
Guy from North Jersey: Cool! What are you guys planning on doing down there?
Girl from North Jersey: You know, go to the beach, hang out on the boardwalk, go on some rides. The usual stuff.
when you go to the shore, mainly said if you live in northern jersey. if you actually live dts
, then you just say "im going to the shore", because your already down there.
(it is not called the beach)
girl: "lets go party it up down the shore!"