What we see depends on the angle we are standing.
I am dominican.
NOT all dominicans are campesinos, nor illiterate.
Like in any society there are schooled and not so lucky to be. Upper class, upper middle, middle and low. There are white people there, mix of black and white (generations of it...and not considered mulato in this case since it is not first generation) and black. There are lebanese descent, asian, etc..
Same mix there is in Cuba, Puerto Rico. There are more characteristics in one more than the other but bottom line is the same.
The lower class in countries like ours (that used to be colonies) tend to be darker for obvious reasons. The same happens in Central America and South but instead of black is indigenas. Same logic different race. The mixed always were middle class or at least that is how it started. And do not mean by this that mixed only exists in such.
Whoever is writting definitions about dominicans (whether dominican or not) is not very smart. Dominican indiosincracy is a little bit more complex than the rubbish they are writting here. Some things are true but it does not cover everyone. It does not cover me and people I know.
Maybe you should read a little bit more dominican history, maybe use the internet for better things than embarrass our nation.
It kills me to think that the only famous people any of you can think of is merengueros and baseball players. There are designers, doctors, in as much professionals that have...
|OKAY GET READY-- it's the real definition, so clear your mind of all these fake definitions put up here by people that are just mad because deep down they wish they were dominican|... Latino from the Spanish speaking country known as the Dominican Republic. They are NOT Haitian and they are NOT Puerto Rican they are DOMINICAN. they are the kings/queens of bachata and merengue, and known for their dish (and song) platanos con salami. they are mixed with taino (indian), spanish (white), and black, just like the puerto ricans and cubans.
Dominicans (in general) are friendly, sexy, and love to party. The world is indebted to them for the best beer ever, Presidente.
A person coming from the Dominican Republic. THEY ARE NOT TAINOS (native americans) YOU FUCKING MORONS THEY DIED OUT. Dominicans come in all shades and consist of mainly 2 races. Black and Caucasian. Some Dominicans have more white or caucasian ancestry while some may have more black or african ancestry which would explain why we come in so many shades. Another large race is asian, but asians usually breed within their own race.
We are considered latino/hispanic due to our Spanish ancestry but unless you're a completely UNMIXED Dominican, you ARE INFACT BLACK and WHITE, you retards.
I'm light skinned, my Mom's grandparents, and father were spanish, but my dad has black and spanish ancestry, I'm Dominican.
I'm dark skinned, but my great grandparents were spaniards, so i'm black and white, but still dominican.
a person from the eastern side of the island of hispaniola, the dominican republic; a SOVEREIGN nation who doesn't receive handouts.
Capital: Santo Domingo
Unlike many of these definitions which only go by the stereotypes, here's the real definition:
A person born in the Dominican Republic or of Dominican heritage.They are the result from a mix between Europeans, Africans, and Native Americans or Tainos. Usually criticized by many for their "annoying" ways to express nationalism. It bothers me how most people only see the surface. Ninety percent of the Dominicans who live in the US(mainly in New York City, Boston, New Jersey, Florida, and Connecticut) are from rural towns or very poor urban ghettos in the Dominican Republic, therefore most people think they are all ignorant hillbillies, but they're not. Not all of them are like that. Most people only acclaim Dominicans for their music (Merengue, Bachata, Salsa, and Dominican Hip-Hop), for their food, and for their great baseball players(A-Rod, Sosa, Martinez, Ramirez, etc). The Dominican Republic has made important achievements in agriculture, medicine, art, literature, politics, just to name a few. Its too bad most Dominicans in the US do nothing to change the perception most Americans have of them. One of the best examples of this is the New York City neighborhood Washington Heights, where the most ignorant, low life, mediocre, and uneducated Dominicans ever reside.
As somebody who's lived in both New York, and the Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo, its biggest and most important city) I can tell you their not all like that. Same goes to all immigrants who come to the...
To clear things up:more...
1. Dominicans DO NOT want to be Puertoricans nor do we hate them. If anything, Dominicans dread giving up their sovereignty to be controlled by a country that thinks so poorly of us.
2. Not all Dominicans are illiterate and ignorant. In fact, if you to go to a private school you'll be more cultured than the average American.
3. Dominicans listen to an amazingly big arrange of music genres, not just Bachata and Merengue. Music taste, just like in any other culture, varies from individual to individual and generalizing this only makes YOU an ignorant.
4. The Dominican community living in Washington Heights DOES NOT represent the Dominican population. Dominican people inhabiting this area usually come from really, really impoverished areas of the Dominican Republic which means they didn't get a proper education just like anyone from a poor neighbourhood anywhere would.
5. Dominicans are not all "ghetto". This fad is only popular in the poorer areas of the country.
6. Dominicans are not "lighter-skinned Haitians". Do some research.
7. The fact that most Dominicans don't speak proper English doesn't mean they're stupid or lazy or ignorant or useless. In case you didn't notice, the Dominican Republic is a Spanish speaking country which was never colonized by an English-speaking country (save from some relatively short American puppet-rulings). It's not like we go around calling people stupid because they don't speak Spanish
A domican is someone who originates from da Dominican Republic (D.R.). Along with the Puerto Ricans dis island produces some of da finest and wildest girls in da world. Domincans Stereotypically love platano(which is true), Knife wieldin, An some of da hardest fukas on da earth. New york Dominicans are almost always tied wit da gangsta lifestyle. Prideful, ghetto, baseball, platano, gurls, all describe everyday domican life.
That Dominican over der is one of da fukin hardest niggas in da bkny