Top definition
A hypothetical event which supposedly happens every time Democrats and Republicans can't agree on the budget, but no one can tell the difference.
The government shutdown today, so I decided to take my airplane out and went flying through the Bermuda Triangle. I saw a UFO, suddenly My gauges went crazy so I landed on the island of Atlantis. My radio didn't work so I started looking for help. I saw what looked like a man in a Bigfoot suit so I chased after him and caught up to him just as he got to the Lakeshore. Then some Nessie looking creature stuck his head out and swallowed him. Then I woke up to a typical day!
via giphy
by Modern mystical Magi January 22, 2018
Get the mug
Get a Government shutdown mug for your daughter Jovana.
What happens when Trump doesn't get what he wants.
Because Trump couldn't get funding for his border wall, we're now in a Government Shutdown.
by Taylorover9001 January 22, 2019
Get the mug
Get a Government Shutdown mug for your mate Larisa.
What the United States is currently in right now. The longest U.S government shutdown shutdown in history. Caused by Donald Trump not having funding for his stupid wall, because Democrats won’t approve funding for the wall.
Man this fucking government shutdown is starting to piss me off right now!
by fortnite2538 January 17, 2019
Get the mug
Get a Government Shutdown mug for your fish Manafort.
Something that, in 2013, was supposed to stop the delay of Obamacare, just so that the Obama Administration could turn around and keep delaying parts of it later.
Progressives and Democrats wailed about the partial government shutdown -- name-calling the Republicans "extremists" and "domestic terrorists" -- but have no problem with Obama delaying parts of Obamacare now -- which is exactly what the argument surrounding the government shutdown was about in the first place. Hypocrites!
by oiehg aori March 04, 2014
Get the mug
Get a government shutdown mug for your cat Rihanna.
Another way of saying that the government is tired of trying to fix the mess they've made for us, so they are going to go home and sleep until someone else fixes the problem.
We the Strong nation Of the United States of America have decided to have a Government-Shutdown, and in doing so we the government expect that this will make everything worse, but rest assured the senate and congress will be sitting cozy in our large mansions waiting for someone to fix this for us.
by randy Farris April 08, 2011
Get the mug
Get a Government-Shutdown mug for your friend Julia.
When a bunch of inbred ivy leaguers forget that their job is to run a country and maintain stability and think that anyone actually gives a shit about their infantile sound and fury over budget cuts which will have about as much effect on the national debt as taking a piss in the ocean.
As any four-year-old knows, 99% of national spending goes to the military, social security and other pensions, but we had a government shutdown because the House couldn't come to a compromise about the other 1%.
by mps310 April 07, 2011
Get the mug
Get a government shutdown mug for your mate Sarah.