1. something that is odd, different, strange or non-mainstream
2. a historical derogatory term against people who were homosexual
(also see #9)
3. an identity in which Gay
individuals have taken back so they could take the negativity away from the word and use it to say they were proud
4. an identity that has been taken back as a word to be more inclusive, incorporating all of the LGBTQIA
community (the queer community
5. an identity used to be vague or non-specific about a person's sexual orientation
, identifying with the LGBT
community as a whole. Also a description of people's non-heterosexual sexual orientations in a non-specific and unbiased manner
6. an identity used because the terms gay, lesbian, or bisexual
are not sufficient for their inner feelings
7. an identity used because some individuals whose gender or sex is non-conforming may not have an easy way to culturally identify their sexual orientation.
8. an academic word used in the context of “queer theory
” and “queer studies
.” The term queer replaces the term homosexual or LGBT.
9. A contemporary derogatory term and insult used to describe someone in the LGBT community, usually by someone outside of the LGBT community, or used to describe any other person who you do not like based on their sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, general looks and/or behavior, or an insult to a non-LGBT person to control their behavior.