Melbourne is a metropolitan city located in Australia, and the capital city of the state, Victoria. Melbourne is the second most populous in Australia - with a population of 3.9 million. From 1901 to 1927, Melbourne was the capital city of Australia, until Canberra took over.
Melbourne is the 3rd most economically livable city in the world, and overall the 17th most livable city in the world.
Melbourne is the centre of arts, education, culture, commerce, tourism, sports (particularly AFL) and industry.
Melbourne held the Summer Olympics in 1956.
Melbourne is also famous for its parks, multicultural society and its contemporary buildings.
The weather in Melbourne is unreliable and typical. It has boiling summers and cold winters. The temperature could range from 0 degrees in Winter to 45 degrees in Summer.
In one day, the weather can change dramatically. Due to its weather, Melbourne is known for its "four seasons in one day".
Melbourne has the largest Jewish population in Australia, with 60,000.
Some famous features in Melbourne are: The Eureka Tower - which is the tallest building in the southern hemisphere, the Yarra River, Chadstone - the biggest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere, Federation Square, Luna Park, Rialto Towers, Docklands, Chinatown, Parliament House of Victoria, Royal Botanical Gardens, Crown Casino and the Telstra Dome.
Sydney and Melbourne criticise each other, and fight over who is the best. But face it Sydney...Melbourne is the best.
Reasons why Melbourne is better than Sydney and why Sydney sucks:
- You think the Sydney Opera House is 'cool'? It's just the look of it that is decent, and since when was OPERA cool?
- The Sydney Harbour Bridge? Yawn. Who cares about a bridge?
- We have the biggest shopping centre and the tallest building in the southern hemisphere.
- Sydney is over-crowded and has financial problems.
- Sydney is dangerous and has a lot of bums and drunk people at night-time.
- Melbourne is known for a sport - AFL, and cricket as well...what sport is SYDNEY known for??
- Sydney-siders are unfriendly and are SHIT drivers. Car crashes are extremely common is Sydney.
- It's very, very hard to find your way around in Sydney. Even navigation systems stuff up and get confused in Sydney when showing you the way to places (in cars).
- Melbourne hosted the Olympic Games WAY before Sydney.
- Yes, I guess Sydney's beaches are better, but due to the weather, it's almost impossible to find a good day to go to the beach because of all its RAIN.
- Sydney has never been the capital city of Australia.
- It is hard to find decent food in Sydney.
- Sydney is never peace and quiet.
- Due to Sydney's over-crowdedness it is hard to find an area to place new buildings.
- Just because the mono-rail is 'fun' because it is up high and feels like you are going to fall off because it is so narrow, it is actually really dangerous, like on a boiling day, when the mono-rail tracks expand, the auto-thingmabob could fall off and you will crash to the ground. That's why it is safer to have trams (like in Melbourne) instead of mono-rails.
- Sydney is not multicultural, with mainly just the Catholic religion.
- Any tourists that visit Sydney never end up living there, tourists that visit Melbourne end up living here.
- MELBOURNE IS GREAT. =D
An American family is thinking of travelling to Australia in the summer holidays:
Bobert: Where should we travel to THIS year, Marianne?
Marianne: Oh, I reckon we should travel to somewhere not too hot, and not too cold. A place where we can have fun without just focusing on the beach. Hmm...what about Melbourne?
Bobert: Wow, Marianne! What a thoughtful idea, once again! This will be a memorable holiday!
A Melbournian and a Sydney-sider meet each other on the streets:
Melbournian: Hello, Sydney-sider. Nice to meet you. I am very much eager to ask, what is your name? Maybe we could be friends.
Sydney-sider: What the fuck are you doing talking to me, mother fucker?? Are you a Melbournian? My name is go fuck yourself, and I don't want to be friends with you, biatch.
Melbournian: Well, as I can see you are not the type of person I should be making friends with. I can tell, you are obviously a Sydney-sider. Just guessing.