1. A person who seeks out and/or nurtures conflict within their life.
2. A person who creates drama in their life where there was none before.
Often describes an attention whore or a pity whore, who find pleasure in lording their pain over others and garnering support because of it. A martyr seeks out and revels in personal conflict so as to have an excuse to be angry.
1. Mary bought her husband a lifetime pass to Fantasy Football Camp, even though she hates football and hates when he leaves the house for a long time. She yells at him all the time because he goes. She's such a martyr.
2. Bob always takes my comments the wrong way. Why, just the other day I said his tie looked nice, and he said, "Nice? Why not great? Do you think it's ugly? Why do you hate my clothes? Why do you hate me?" Then he told everyone I was rude to him. What a martyr!
Sand nigger suicide bombers, who hope that when they die the will receive 72 virgins, the only catch is, the 72 virgins look like Rosie O' Donnell, suckers.
When Pookie and Ray-Ray converted to Islam, they were asked to be "martyrs " but they read this urban dictionary passage beforehand, and both said "shit no, niggas"
1. One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.
2. One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.
A great show of suffering in order to arouse sympathy.
To inflict great pain on.
Accidently like a martyr -Warren Zevon
A martyr is a person who dies fighting for what they believe in. A martyr can either kill themselves or be killed.
In the 19th Century, a woman in England named Emily Davison (A member of the suffragette party) becamame a matryr after killing herself by jumping infront of horses at the "Epson Derby".
Martyrs gain a lot of sympathy by the public for preforming such an act which is one of the main contributing factors as to why they do it in the first place.
Martin Luther King is a martyr as he died defending black peoples rights
Most of these definitions are wrong or half right, there are two types of Martyrs:
1.) One who puts themselves in harms way so that someone else doesn't have to. One who would die fighting for a cause.
2.) An attention whore
who puts themselves in harms way and/or complains about it expecting others to feel thankful or sorry for them. For Glory
1.) Although Rambo is a fictional character, he is the ultimate example of a Martyr.
2.) SPARTANS! PREPARE FOR GLORY!!!
(HOOA HOOA HOOA HOOA HOOA!!!)
Although the Spartans wanted glory, they did what they did anyway glory or no glory, they aren't really attention whores.
Lets go over and talk to those girls at the bar. Dan, you are going to be a martyr tonight, the butter face
is all yours.
-One who purposefully puts himself in harms way
-One who deliberately puts himself in situations to force sympathy and pity out of those around him.
-One who makes his situation sound worse than it ever really will be in order to seek attention
Martyr: Alexander Daniel Barros.
Someone who purposely takes on extra duties or unpleasant activity for the sake of attention and being able to complain about it.
1. Eli always volunteers to work late and then complains about it. He is such a martyr.