Not all Taekwondo schools are McDojos, despite popular belief. Pre-School programs, American/Korean flags, mirrors, and the lack of an Asian instructor do not equal a McDojo. I study at a school that has all of these, and nobody would even dream of accusing my school of being a McDojo. The ignorant martial artists that like to blam Taekwondo because it is a newer style and because it's popular have no clue. There are Kung Fu schools that fingers should be pointed at. There's a perfect example in DengFeng, the Chinese Martial Arts City. The monks will sign any foreigner off as a master just so they can get a good laugh. Taekwondo is not a bullshido style. We taekwondo types are just scapegoats for the ignorant martial artists of other styles.
"That McDojo is stupid, you won't learn anything and your bank will hit the fan."
1. The Black Belts haven't reached puberty yet and they can rent out the dojo for birthday parties.
2. Your instructor tries to flirt with your girlfriend when she attempts to visit you at the dojo.
3. Your instructor is having an affair with one of his students.
4. Your instructor gives a speech during class about how TKD is superior to all other martial arts.
5. Your instructor won't allow you to compete in a tournament because his techniques are too deadly and you'd actually kill or seriously injure anyone you competed against.
6. You attend a Chinese Kung Fu School that uses the Japanese Belt Ranking System.
7. You attend a Hapkido School, but all the grappling elements have been curiously eliminated from the training.
8. Your instructor places an embargo on his students equipment purchases. You will be repremanded for bringing in gear and Gi's purchases outside the Mcdojo.
9. While sparring your instructor complains that you're not being aggressive enough. Then, when you become more aggressive your instructor complains that your being too aggessive.
10. Your instructor names his style after himself. For example Joe Son Do, Dux Ryu, Rex Kwon Do.
1. Your instructor has a mullet.
2. Your instructor drives a thunderbird or a Camaro.
3. You can get a Black Belt in less than 2 years.
4. Your instructor is overweight.
5. Your instructor claims to have secret techniques that he can only reveal to you once you've received your black belt.
6. They claim to offer MMA training, but the instructor has never had a single professional fight.
7. You can earn a new colored belt every 1-3 months. Hence, the term "belt factory."
8. The students seem to be more interested in putting on a fashion show than learning martial arts.
9. Everyone seems to be obsessed with what current action movie stars are doing and when you mention a professional MMA fighters name they give you blank stares.
-Your instructor has a Grandmasters Certificate. In Crayon.
-The Senior Assistant Instructor is a 4 year old black belt.
-The sign in the window says the school trains in more than 10 martial arts.
-Its a Korean art. (See taekwondo)
-Your instructor tries to sell you Amway products.
-While examining the schools tournament trophies, you find 3 for spelling bees.
-Reading the contract for the school is considered a kata (and a long one at that).
-No one sweats.
-While at a tournament, your opponent finds out who your teacher is and high-fives his teacher.
-When paying for your belt examinations, the instructor asks: "Do you want fries with that?"
If any of these sound familiar, you are probably training at a McDojo.