After reading all the inept douchebags' definitions for evolution, I feel like I need to straighten some things out. Yes, I am an atheist. Yes, I do believe in evolution. I can't believe I even worded it like that, because that makes it sound like it's just some crack-pot theory. It is a fact. For all of you people who think that it is just some way for atheists to describe a world without "God", this just increases how incredibly inane you come off as. Some of you even think that there hasn't been proof of evolution, that there haven't been any fossils that show adaptations. Did you just not pay any attention in your science classes on purpose? "LOL SIENTS IZ STUPID EVOLUSHUN SAYZ THT WE CAYM FRUM MUNKEYZ".
Some of you have said that the Big Bang Theory is asinine as well, because "it says that the universe was created from one atom." The universe did not explode from hydrogen or any one element. It was all quarks and masons and charged particles so dense that they were opaque to light.
One person even mocked how scientists know the age of each layer of the earth. Just so you know, we do have actual intelligent people (unlike you, of course) that know a googolplex more than you. They do have actual technology that can date things now. If you haven't noticed it's actually the 21st century, not the 19th.
Please, just because you don't understand something, do not go and trash it. If I wanted to, I could talk shit about everyone's religion and tell about how ridiculous they all are. But I'm not going to, because I am a good person. I have been raised in a Christian family all my life (which has no correlation with my morality and knowledge of ethics). I go to church at least once a week. I do not disrespect my family or friends for what they believe in, even though I am completely against their religion. So I will say this: do not put others down because they believe in evolution - even though it really isn't a belief, it's a fact - it just makes you look like a fucking hypocrite.
Evolution and issues like this make me so angry. It just kills me that these people haven't been educated thoroughly enough. I was holding back so much. I have to let a just little more out...
Maredith's 53rd Calypso
Foma may make you happy, yes.
All these religions,
Cinderelli fairy tales,
Where they go when they dies.
But when do harmless untruths
Become harmful lies?
A scientific theory
that all life on earth descended from a common ancestor. Evolution has been repeatedly proven and observed time and time again, yet most of the morons writing definitions for Evolution on urbandictionary.com choose to ignore that.
/Mentally retarded redneck
: Evolution b'aint be reel cuz dat der bibl tingy be sayin' su!
The idea that organisms change over time, and that is change occurs through natural selection which allows favorable traits to be passed along through generations. It has been refered to as a theory, which, in science, means it is an idea that has not been disproven. Many scientists are moving towards calling it the Law of Evolution, similar to the Law of Gravity, in order to help reduce frivolous claims that it is "only a theory" by people ignorant of what a scientific theory entails.
Some (especially miseducated critics) refer to macro and microevolution. There is no such thing. Evolution is evolution. Fruit flys, rats, frogs, etc., have all been observed undergoing character change in laboritories, resulting in the inability to mate with other members of the base species (the control), thus forming a new species. Several examples of so-called macroevolution (the change at a genus level) have been observed by biologists in the rain forest. Furthermore, good fossil evidence shows transition between genera, and even higher taxanomic orders (incorrectly called Kingdom, Phylum, etc. - current work in phylogentic taxonomy does away with Linnean ranks). Representatives of higher order change in the fossil record includes change with fish, fish to amphibians, with amphibians, within reptiles, "reptiles" to dinosaurs, within dinosaurs, dinosaurs to "birds", within "birds", "reptiles" to mammals, within mammals, and other mammals to humans. I am not mentioning invertebrates here...
1. The process by which one state changes into another. Anything which is not static evolves over time. The word evolution specifically excludes any connotation of improvement or progress, so even 'negative' changes are evolution. In biology, this definition is often observed in terms of the change of gene frequencies in natural populations. There is no controversy about this definition.
2. The theory that species give rise to other species. This process of speciation can be accomplished in a number of ways, all of which must result in two (or more) populations becoming genetically isolated. This can be accomplished physically (allopatry and peripatry) or through division of patch types or through behavioral mechanisms (sympatry). This has been observed at low taxonomic levels. For instance, wheat is a modern species resulting from 2 instances of non-disjunction and one hybridization event that all occurred within the last 5000 years. The original plant has been identified from seeds from tombs in Egypt.
The creation of new higher level taxa is often referred to as macroevolution by non-scientists, but this usage is incorrect. The only difference between the origins of higher taxa and species is time. Today's species will eventually give rise to genera as they continue to diverge from their sister-taxa and continue to speciate themselves. All higher taxa were once just a species. Macroevolution properly refers to selection that operates above the species ...
How your pokemon change at certain levels!
"My Charamander got to level 16 and evolved into Charmeleon!"
1. In biology: Descent with modification. Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.
2. In everyday speech: A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.
1. Darwin's theory of evolution does for biology what quantum mechanics does for physics.
2. It is interesting to note the evolution in computers over the years.
In the beginning we were all fish, swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple of fish had a retard baby, and the retard baby was different so it got to live. So retard fish goes on to make more retard babies, and then one day a retard baby fish crawled out of the ocean with its mutant fish hands, and it had butt sex with a squirrel or something, and made retard frog-squirrel. And then that had a retard baby which was a monkey-fish-frog, and then this monkey-fish-frog had butt sex with another monkey, and then that monkey had a mutant retard baby that screwed another monkey, and then that screwed another monkey and then that made you. So there you go, you're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel, congratulations.
evolution explains how we evolved