I'm an atheist. Does this mean I love science? Not necessarily. I simply did not feel anything whatsoever going to church when I was little, and therefore, stopped believing. It was when I got older that the "Is realigion really plausible?" thoughts popped into my head.
Does it mean that I have faith in the government? Au contraire--I think the government and politicians and all that junk are mostly corrupt and stupid.
Do I hate other people for believing in God? Nope. In fact, I love diversity. The world would be boring as hell if we were all atheists.
Have I ever gone out of my way to convince a theist that what I believe is right? That's wrong too. I can't tell you for sure whether I'm right or wrong--it's not like a have proof or anything--so I don't bother with arguing over it. Unfortunately, a lot of theists don't pay me the same respect. :(
Am I evil? A theist may think so, but I don't. I love giving to charities, I participate in my school's choir, I love my family, and I don't smoke, drink excessively, or take sex lightly, I've never betrayed anyone, I get good grades, and I'm really nice to others.
I also have faith--not in a God, but in myself and those around me. I believe in living my life as happily as I can, since it is the only life I think I have to live. I don't constantly look to God to pull me through tough times; I pull myself through and make myself stronger.
"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" ~George Carlin
Tolerant Christian: Sup dude.
Intolerant Christian: Demon! Filth! Urchin! You're in denial of the omnipresent, wonderful God!
Tolerant Christian: Dude, please shut up, you're giving us a bad na-
Intolerant Christian: THEY'RE THE REASON THE WORLD SUCKS! THEY HAVE NO MORALS! GOOD THING I'M GOING TO HEAVEN AND FUCKERS LIKE THAT ARE GOING TO HELL!
Atheist: Actually, I do have morals, I believe killing is wrong, and-
Intolerant Christian: OF COURSE KILLING IS WRONG, IT'S IN THE 10 COMMANDMENTS!
Atheist: I don't follow the Bible though, because I actually
believe killing is wrong myself, I don't need to be ordered to by a "deity".
Intolerant Christian: THAT'S IT, I'M BRINGING MY FRIENDS OVER TO LYNCH YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!
Tolerant Christian: ...I hate myself.
"Thats just fucking stupid, i'm an atheist, now get the fuck of my porch."
2. Someone who does not bow down to a deity that constantly threatens to burn you alive for not believing in a certain way after said deity created you to believe in an alternate way.
3. Someone who, throughout history, has been the source of ridicule and offensiveness. However, when said atheist ridicules a christian, jew, or muslim they are labeled as offensive and blasphemous.
Christian #2: Nah, let's convert him instead.
- Refusing to worship God doesn't make one an atheist. If one says things like "well God lets this stuff happen, so I don't believe in him...," it demonstrates that one does believe in God, they just choose not to follow him.
- Many self-proclaimed "atheists" actually hate God. Since it is illogical to hate something you profess does not exist, people who hate God cannot by definition be atheists. If your attitude is "well God lets this happen, so screw Him..." then you're not an atheist.
- People who "don't believe in Jesus" aren't atheists, they're just not Christians. Jews don't believe in Jesus either, that doesn't make them atheists.
- People who say "I'll find out when I get there" aren't atheists, they're agnostics.
- People who join a "National Organization of Atheists" are not atheists; if you don't believe something exists, you don't make a society dedicated to not believing it exists. That's nonsense.