1. To intentionally behave in a way that one believes will induce sexual arousal in their target. This word is distinct from 'tease' in two respects - firstly, it doesn't imply that the subject does not intend to satisfy the sexual arousal that he or she has manufactured and secondly, whereas the verb 'to tease' is usually used in reference to a woman's actions, the verb 'to flirt' can be used in reference to a man or a woman's actions.
2. To toy with (an idea usually, but sometimes an entity.)
One who is known to indulge in the actions detailed in the first verb definition can be described as 'a flirt'.
1. He flirted with me all night, with his characteristic double entendres, his charming smile and hypnotic eyes a-glow.
2. She flirted with the idea of joining the Communist Party, but eventually decided to stick with Labour.
She wins the attention of all the men - she is a flirt out of the top drawer.
1. To intentionally say, do or imply something that isn't accurate so as to see whether the object of the teasing believes it to be accurate.
2. To attempt to induce sexual arousal in an individual without intending to satisfy the arousal. When used in this sense, the word is customarily used to only in reference to women, but nowadays it is sometimes used by women (or gay men) in reference to men. Strictly speaking, this definition of the word is merely an extension of the first definition provided.
3. To make a sort of a combing motion, with a refining effect.
4. To extrapolate; to draw wisdom from; to extract.
Someone who is known to perform the actions detailed in the first or second verb definitions can be described as 'a tease'.
1. He said I might be able to get a job with the BBC, but I think he was only teasing me - I'm not sufficiently qualified.
2. She looked deep into my eyes and she told me that they were beautiful. She often runs her hands through my hair, but I think she is teasing me.
3. I tease my hair with a special hairbrush every morning.
4. It is difficult to tease out any firm conclusions from this experiment as there are many extraneous variables that could have influenced its outcome.
You're such a tease!