A topic, phrase or word that emotionally sets someone off. Could refer to anger, or reliving a traumatic experience. Sometimes this is logical, other times it seems like an attention grab. It is fairly common for certain communities on, for example, Livejournal to be overly sensitive to people's 'triggers' (often but not always relating to sexual assault)--any mention of violence may be censored.
(1) Man, I know I shouldn't have gone off on Eric that way, but that racist joke he made triggered me big time and I flipped my shit.
(2) I got kicked off that livejournal group for not lj-cutting my post talking about the rape scene in the movie I watched last night. Some girl said it triggered her and the mods were on her side.
A strong emotional reaction set off by a set of words or image that reminds a person of a traumatic event. Used often in the Self Injury community to describe something that may cause a person to relapse into a cutting, bullimic, or other self injuring state.
That poem mentions rape and self mutilation. It could trigger.
What you pull to shoot a gun.
"Finga on tha trigga.....BANG."
1. A term used to describe sensations, images, or experiences that trigger a traumatic memory. Related to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
1. I was psychologically scarred watching my best friend get shot in the head as a young teen. That scene in the movie where they shot the hostages triggered unpleasant memories, and I felt myself reliving those horrible experiences again.
1. I've got my finger on your trigger
2. I'm an incurable trigger frigger
In the criminal lexicon "trigger" used to describe a hot-tempered person, fast for killing (without thoughts about consequences). Hi-ranked criminal leaders often call thier enforsers with a word "trigger". In this case "tigger" is the synonym for "soldier" or "killer".
"Man he's gonna kill you. His a damn trigger!!!"
"Sforcsa has sent his triggers to deal with the rivals"
nickname of Willie Nelson's Martin N-20 Classical guitar, In 1969, Nelson purchased the guitar unseen for $750 in Nashville fom "Shot" Jackson and named it after Roy Rogers' horse "Trigger". The next year Nelson rescued the guitar from his burning ranch & moved back to Texas
For more than 40 years Willie Nelson has been playing a Martin N-20 nylon-string acoustic guitar he named Trigger.