(n.)Someone who moderates a chatroom or message board. There are generally five types of moderators:
1. Asswipe: Moderator that likes to punish members for little or no reason, harasses members and then punishes them for harassing back or questioning them, or is an asshole in general to those around him, not including his suckup friends, who will respond to his powerabuse with: "lol", "pwned bitch", or "wut a fag".
2. Strict Moderator: Follows the rules by the book, no exceptions. Any rule infraction spotted will be punished, often without warning. Normally dreaded.
3. Do-Nothing Moderator: Moderator that acts more like a member than a moderator, only intervening in serious matters that require mod attention. Usually ignores rule infractions for fear of angering the administrator or stricter moderators. Usually friendly.
4. Badass: Best moderator there is. They are fair, and will usually joke around and let things go if the intention of the rule infraction was not fitting with the reason the rule was created. However, if someone is being a total idiot, especially flaming, they will proceed to argue with them for the sole purpose of getting them to make a fool of themselves, often to the point of losing their cool and posting a last "FUK U ALL!!!!!" message, at which point there is much lulz and the nooblet gets b7. See Winrar
5. Nutcase: Moderator that not only rarely enforces rules, but often breaks them themselves in the name of fun, or sometimes just out of boredom. Usually doesn't have modship for long, or is constantly scolded by other mods or the admin. Me.
These are the main five categories, there are several other types and combinations of types out there.
"Ugh, I told that moderator that he's being a jerk, and he banned me. What an asswipe."
"That moderator is mad strict. She just suspended six members for spamming just because they had too much chatspeak."
"Is that dude even a moderator? He hasn't done jack through all this flooding."
"Haha, this moderator is so awesome."
"What the hell...? That guy just flooded six pages of the chat away... he's a moderator? Wtf?"
Moderators are assigned to "moderate" something which means they are in charge of seeing that it does what it is supposed to do and nothing more.
Most moderators are driven mad by their lust for power and will cause suffering and hatred at every turn because it makes them happy to see others unhappy.
What the other definitions here leave out is that moderators aren't just for forums or websites. There are moderators of sorts in games, chat rooms and many other places. All of them are nerdy teenages who get back at life for making them monsters by taking their anger out on anyone they can.
I used to play a really cool MUD called Moongate until the moderators(caleed immortals for some gay reason) went mad with power, changed the name of the game and banned me for trying to report a bug. Losers.
An "athority" figure in chatrooms or forums who likes to go on powertrips and harass people who are trying to have a bit of fun. They obtain this position by being either: 1. A complete sycophant to the webmaster or 2.devoting their entire waking hours to the praticular site
moderaters are total feltchmongers with inferiority complexes
by anonymous Oct 14, 2003 add a video
Someone who wants to be an administrator, with all accompanying godlike powers, but is incapable or unwilling to learn the required coding skills and hygiene required for office coexistence. A moderator is usually unemployable as such, and thus spends his/her time policing bboards, multiplayer games and chatrooms pretending to be important and useful, instead of actually doing the work to do so in real life. This massive waste of time, if accumulated over years, results in a very large ego within a body in very poor health and physical condition, culminating in social disorders.
"My name is Dragon Wind Unicorn Rainbow Queen Of All Furry MUCKS, and I am moderator of the Dragon Wind Unicorn YiffYiff bboard/RPG chatroom/blah blah/jargon jargon and part-time mod on *chan. I may weigh 375 pounds in real life and live in a room full of rubbish and cat turds, but my character is a Minyun Hentai Teen Dragon black belt samurai transsexual pornstar in +50 armor and she is a merciful destroyer of all trolls except those who beg for mercy."
A total control freak. Someone who either has no life or just has fun controlling yours. Can be a parent, older sibling, teacher, pastor, anyone who you're told and expected to listen to.
Man, my sister is such a moderator! She never let's me have friends over on weekdays, but she's always going out to places.
An internet virus.
A very little man, probably the spawn of J. Edgar Hoover with Cromwellian tendencies of stamping out opposing views on internet forums and chat rooms and rewarding sycophants. He's long given up the stakeout, the binoculars and the wire taps in favor of online activities behind the scenes. The more banal the website topic or thread, the crueler his tactics and iron fist becomes. His past is riddled with rejection, inability to hold a job or maintain friendships. And this arena, or "forum" is precisely the drug he needs to fulfill his illusions of grandeur and the taste of power over others.
Avoid him at all costs and find "real" humans to talk to, not avatars on a computer screen.
Guy#1: "I got booted out of that history forum today!"
Guy#2: "Really, why?"
Guy#1: "That moderator got po'd when I corrected him and told him Dumas was French mulatto and not 100% white. He said he'd banish me to internet Siberia if I attempted to challenge him again."
Guy#2: "Wow, that's just plain wrong!"
A guy/girl in charge of censoring/editing a certain part of a site
some are a-holes, some are awesome, and some use invisibility mode so you cant tell what the hell they are
some, still, are kissups to admin... hate these guys!!
that moderator is so awesome he let me slide with so much crap and offered me a job at modding too...haha