–noun 1. the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.
2. the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock: a happy marriage.
3. the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of a man and woman to live as husband and wife, including the accompanying social festivities: to officiate at a marriage.
4. a relationship in which two people have pledged themselves to each other in the manner of a husband and wife, without legal sanction: trial marriage; homosexual marriage.
5. any close or intimate association or union: the marriage of words and music in a hit song.
6. a formal agreement between two companies or enterprises to combine operations, resources, etc., for mutual benefit; merger.
7. a blending or matching of different elements or components: The new lipstick is a beautiful marriage of fragrance and texture.
8. Cards. a meld of the king and queen of a suit, as in pinochle. Compare royal marriage.
9. a piece of antique furniture assembled from components of two or more authentic pieces.
10. Obsolete. the formal declaration or contract by which act a man and a woman join in wedlock.
thats how dictionary.com defines it.
now i may have miss read how this is worded but it seems to me that under deffinition 5 that gay marriage should be allowed. i mean it is marriage by deffinition. and same with deffinition 4, hell it even says homosexual marriage. and number 2 says nothing about sex. and note there is a difference between gender and sex. with gender being sexual identity in relation to society and culture. so yeah a male could be a woman and a female could be a man.
so in reality your deffinition approach to anti gay marriage is wrong. it being religious well deffinition says its a social institution. so yeah you amy be against it but it is not constitutional wrong. first amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
so yeah you cant go off of religion.
word of the day: May 09, 2012
What straight couples have legally and commonly don't want, and what gay couples don't have legally and commonly want.
Irony in the first degree.
the number one cause of divorce
a licence to fuck
conservatives are big on protecting the sacred bond of marriage.
the beginning of the end.
Oh boy, hes getting married, our thoughts and prayers go out to him.
1.) Point at which a male's opinions become utterly worthless.
2.) Point at which a male must spend weekends at the Mall
3.) Point at which a male must buy hundreds of shoes from italy
4.) Point at which a female stops working due to getting knocked up, thus forcing male further into the pits of hell
"I can't dude, I'm married"
Suicide in it's worst form.
Jerry: Dude, Ben committed marriage yesterday.
Joe: Holy shit dude. Well, so much for hanging out with ben.
The number one cause of divorce. The end of dating. The end of your sex life. Something I will never experience because, women for some reason, do not like me and I have become totally invisible to the opposite sex.
It has three phases: lust (when you are newlyweds) rust and dust. Which phase is your marriage in? Marriage is taken way too lightly in our society. Most people don’t realize that marriage is the hardest commitment for anyone to make. People often treat marriage as a convenience rather than a covenant, thinking how they can benefit from marriage rather than how to meet the needs of your spouse. Anyone with half a brain and $50 for a license can get married but it takes real commitment to make it work. The problem with successful marriage today is:
1.PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS OF WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE MIXED WITH POOR PREPARATION/PLANNING: It amazes than any state will make you study for a time to get a drivers license but will instantly grant a marriage license for $50 and a blood test to any nieve couple stupid enough to marry, having the ability to ruin lives of future children and themselves if it goes wrong. The couple thinks all will be happily ever after and they will have a perfect family and live in the burbs with white, picket fences. They are willing to say their “I do’s” at the altar without knowing what to do when the honeymoon is over and adversity and trials begin. You marry a sweet girl or nice guy at the altar and then, when they honeymoon is o...