1. A person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards and customs of society, especially one who advocates extreme liberalism in sociopolitical attitudes and lifestyles.
2. A person who grows their own herbs.
see John Kerry
The young boy remarked, "Look at all hippies in congress!"
1. A youth subculture from the late 1960's. The hippie subculture embraced drug use, political activism, communal living (not necessarily socialism) and generally clean living. Hippies wore patched, baggy clothing, beads and headbands. The men grew their hair long, and sometimes grew beards, and the women didn't wear bras, as they saw the undergarment as an attempt by men to determine how women were shaped.
2. A modern subculture resembling the hippies of the 60's, but without the political activism or the philosophical edge. Both the men and the women wear their hair in dreadlocks, and wear tie dye t-shirts and baggy corduroys with rows of patches up the sides. Modern hippies listen to groups such as Phish, the Greatful Dead and the String Cheese Incident, and hold a mythological reverence for the state of Vermont.
1. Principal Grabowski was a hippie back in the day, and he's still fucked up from all the weed he smoked in his formative years.
2. I drank chai with the hippies in Northampton. Hippies are okay, unless their playing their music around you. No ammount of ganja's going to make that shit sound good.
Hippy is often used as a derogatory form of the term "Flower Child". The term flower child comes from the use of "flower power", which is anti-violent protest, especially the act of putting a flower in a gun as a protest against the war.
The original flower child movement was made of people who promoted love over hate, wanted to end the war, were very intelligent and politically active, were unsatisfied with today's culture and wished to expand their minds and those of the people around them. They tended to be very liberal democrats, or more commonly, socialists. They were very concerned with the world around them, not just war, but poverty, women's rights, civil rights, youth's rights, and the preservation of the environment.
The term hippy more commonly refers to drugged out dirty teenagers, or later joiners of the movement who just wanted to be cool and did not really care about all the issues. Most 'hippies' will not be offended by the term, because in its originality, it was interchangeable with the term 'flower child'.
There tends to be a very misunderstood association of hippies with drugs. In the original movement, many of the young people were very dissatisfied with their morals and religions being taught at home, and were searching for something new. They turned to nature and ancient natural spiritual beliefs, eastern religions (especially Buddhism), and of course, mind expanding drugs such as Marijuana, LSD, and Mushrooms. It is important to remember ...
Someone who is really laid back, can wear crazy psychodelic colours, use words like 'dude', 'trippin' and 'woa' in their everyday vocabulary.
Originally discovered in the 1960s, modern day hippies may vary.
Someone who can take 'fucking hippy!' as a complement.
Most likely has long hair, prob dreadlocks.
Goes crazy for cookies. :D
ME, Jimmy, Emz, Ferret
Probably the greatest thing ever to happen to the 1960's yes they smoked Marijuana and did LSD but their message of Peace
was the truth and also responsible for great events such as Monterey Pop and Woodstock which featured music legends such as Jimi Hendrix
, Janis Joplin
, and The Who
Hippies belive that Peace
is all we need and they are right
hippies are a group composed mainly of artists which emerged in the 60s and since then their image has been distorted badly. they get ripped on for being whiney assholes who hide behind lawyers and try to control what people think. but in reality any hippies left are usually just the old guys just trying to help with the litle shit and trying to make some lives a litle bit easier. the assholes you see are yuppies who want to be hippies but are to damn uptight and try to make the world better by controling others to think like them and try to convince you that eating tofu is going to make everyones life better while the corporations feed off of their stupid fucking predictability and use the dumb motherfuckers to make more fucking money.
you know this shits bad cus even hippies and rednecks are chill with each other about these asshole yuppies
A peace-loving people that seeks a eutopian society. A lover of music, art and nature. Most hippys make something with their hands(clothes, soaps, jewelry) and have given up on a conventional life. People who love their country but are not afraid to question their government. Misrepresentations of hippys. 1) Not all hippys do drugs and when a real hippy does do drugs it is typicaly a natural substance(ie pot, coke, shrooms.) Most, like me outgrow this phase. 2) Not all are as liberal as you think. I for one own guns, it is our right. We simply dont believe that our government is doing enough to combat the injustices of our society. If anything they are feeding off it. 3) we are not all broke. Seeing as most of us have gone to college, eventually, we graduate and get a job. 4)We are not all animal rights activist or vegans. Animal rights activist can be violent, and hippys dont believe in violence, we do love animals but would not blow up a building to prove that.
Although some hippys choose to take up a cause or not to (by doing alot of drugs) you cannot lump us all in to one catagory. Trying to find two snow flakes that are just alike is impossible. A good hippy takes care of their body and their "Phamily" and donates something to society. All of us love our music and love our Phamily. And yes, we do love our homemade clothes, drum circles, dancing barefoot, festivals, and discussing religion and politics until dawn.
The world could learn a lot from a hippy...