Funk uses earthy feelings and very African polyrhythms to create a home-cooked kind of sound. It was originally the hardest form of R&B and incorporated jazz in its own way, often meandering into long jams built on a single bass groove.
Some funk pioneers:
James Brown, whose sixties soul hits eventually moved into funk music. Brown was the least psychedelic out of the Trio of Funk Pioneers.
Sly and the Family Stone, who, as many funk bands, began as a psychedelic soul band. Taking the extended jamminess of psychedelica and the black rhythms of soul, they pioneered a new, poppier kind of funk with their album, Stand!.
George Clinton is the last major funk pioneer, and my own personal favourite. Also known as Dr. Funkenstein and Uncle Jam, Clinton's groups Parliament and Funkadelic (and the conglomeration, th P-Funk Allstars) was perhaps the most influential of all three pioneers as they brought funk to a more mainstream audience.
Other funky artists: The Meters, The Ohio Players, Bootsy's Rubber band, The O'Jays.
Artists that were influenced by funk encompass every hip-hop star who has ever had a funky beat. Other artists that were influenced by funk include the Red Hot Chili Peppers, David Bowie (remember Young Americans?), Prince, Stevie Wonder, War (primarily the song Low Rider) and The Neptunes.
2) A style of R&B music whose artists include James Brown, Parliament-Funkadelic (aka P-Funk) and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
3) Depressed mood.
2) I love playing funk bass.
3) I need to get drunk to get out of this funk.
1. Bad smell, odiferous, maloderous
2. Depressed state, moody
3. Musical movement/genre
2. Feeling down in the dumps, sort of lazy, edgy or irritable, but without justifiable cause is referred to as being in a Funk.
3. Music speaks for itself- George Clinton & the P Funk All Stars...
-Funkiest sentence ever (heard on "Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic)
"I hope I don't see JR this time. I've got mad funk with that fool."
"You got some funk?! Bitch!"
"Them boys are funkin' all the time!"