look up any word, like fob dot:
A cover, like a pillowcase, to protect and beautify a comforter, often down, because down comforters are expensive, precious, and delicate. A down comforter with a tear, rip, or hole will leak.
After spending $300 on a down comforter, an $80 duvet is a sound investment
by michael November 11, 2003
A blanket. It's just a blanket.
Why do guys like us know what a duvet is? Is this necessary to our survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word?
by GW 2 March 09, 2008
A quilt used in place of a bedspread or topsheet. Often is down-filled, and commmon in northern European countries.
The hotel room included a bed with a duvet cover
by Mittens November 12, 2003