1. Many of the true emos are not that bad are usually good looking, do not consider themselves emo, do not try to be emo or focus on being emo, In fact if they hear the word emo used in a durragatory or general way or are reffered to in any way as emo may lash out either verbally or even physically (the original emo kid really isnt that emo) may listen to emo and probably alot more. If they do have the stereotypical emo haircut pants and overall look many fashion designers will probably agree that their style looks good, especially compared to its ancestral punk fashion.
2. the trendy kids who cut themselves, purposefully embrace the emo stereotypes, post millions of myspace pictures and put the caption "emo" are false emos in a sense and true emos in another sense, in the first sense they are the false emos in that they did not start the scene and do not truly feel passionate about their scene, in the second they are true emos in that they are the over dramatic exadurated problem inventing stereotypical kids that are constantly (and for good reason) harrased for their emosity, this creature is your enemy, destroy him and all thats left is the true emo kid who in actuallity is not that emo (confusing?)
3. Many emo styles are simply a more mild form of punk, and it should be noted that the punk's (or at least the true punk) plight is alot like the true emo, they are both trying to be themselves and both were labled what they are, as a small child you would probably think of a bad meanie trouble maker or a coward when you heard the word punk, so it is safe to assume that the label punk was not self generated and used duragatorily, but the difference between the emo and the punk (the true or original ones) is what makes the emos emos and the punks punks, the emos wanted to be different but also not really on the radar and were relatively modest in their rebellion and just simply were annoyed by the word emo or emotional, the punk would probably have heard himself being called punk and maybe laughed, maybe told all his friend hed been called a punk, begun to label himself as a punk as a joke as an insult to the person who had labled that person a punk, might have shouted that he is a punk somewhere and acted as rebelious and loud and as much a trouble maker as he could to piss off that man or woman who called him a punk as a retaliation, which would have infuriated that person thoroughly.
4. An emo kid is not what many of the pictures on this urban dictionary are, just because a person is sad doesnt mean theyre emo, it means theyre sad, dont be stupid, just because a person cut themselves doesnt mean theyre emo they might be emo but they oculd also be some gothic wierdo or a commited actor or maybe just some kid who likes cutting himself or perhaps a vampire whos really hungry and doesnt feel like killing someone else, cutting is also a sypmtom of depression, most of the people who make fun of depressed people for being "emo" would be extremely "emo" if they had the same depression and would most likely kill themself as fast as they could in the least painful way, this kid would go by another title, this title is: pussy
5. The emo kids fashion is something that really shouldnt be made fun of and it is sad that it has become a symbol of weakness and sorrow, tight pants have long been a theme of punk music and hair metal, the one sided bang poofyness and straight hairstyle of the "emo" kid is also inherited from hair metal and many of the rebelious type of kids during the 80's would be considered to have the emo style if they had lived as they did during the 80s today especially if they had made their look slightly more modest. The New wave scene is the contemporary scene to the emo scene of today, both are rebelious and yet seem to conform and be modest at the same time yet the new wave scene was happier and the emo scene is seen as being sad. When you see someone who fits the "emo"profile, dont immediately judge them, at least observe their actions a bit before condeming them to be "emo"
6. Today most emo bands like MCR or Hawthorne heights fallout boy and taking back sunday have more preppy punk or other kinds of listeners rather than emo listeners, if emo kids were the majority of people buying any type of music that band could not afford to stay in the public eye and probably not in the music buisness at all. Most punk bands today are in actuallity much more like the stereo type of emo and area a softened version of punk, original punk was much more aggresive angry rebelious loud and reckless passionate and personal and alot less trendy commercialized "artistic" publicized on mtv, on most played songs on radio stations like blink 182 greenday the living end NRS and such, original punk has evolved into the lighter forms of metal which are loud rebelious reckless angry and often personal and passionate and not at all about getting in the public eye and earning popularity which might be the goal of pop rock pop punk bands like ashly simpson or avril lavigne (ashly simpsons song name should be changed from pieces of me to pieces of shit) examples of the lighter metal bands which are much more like punk than todays punk is are dope, Mindless self indulgence, Mushroomhead, orgy, rammstein, sevendust.
if you have read that entire definition I am both sorry for you and proud of you
If eating toast is emo, then eating French Toast is tres emo
It's so emo to eat toast.
My friends made this on Valentines day.
a bunch of emos. jk, cool kids
version 2, new and improved
haha I just made this yesterday
that's my "emo" brother...he thinks he's "kool" now because he's "emo"..riight
yup_yup! EMO :(
Don't try and run away from your life, coz then its not worth living
Jayne the Stomo
Me.. DO NOT make fun of me because I look...really bleh here. It's not my fault. I wasn't ready!
you're not emo if you call yourself emo
emo moment in pizza hut
Chris's Emo Picture
If only that ahir was a liiil longer, over one eye perhaps
THE emo! Such a loser! No geeky glasses though...
-tear- You just don't understand me...
this is me!
Do i appear to be Emo?
I look really emo
here the pretty boy is again<33333
I am not emo. Nor do I really like emo kids much, they complain all of the time that no one understands them... Well, every other damn emo kid in this world does... so go complain to each other. oh yeah, about the picture, i just thought it looked kind of emo... ---TWEAK ^_^
me and melissa
So emo he makes his mother cry...
EMO FAG !!
state of this emo
YOU HAVIN A LAUGH ? EMO !!!!! FAG !!!!!!!!
Oops!! </3 , emoo?
Emo Sadness : (
Cheer up Emo Kid
Poor guy;; /so/ f-kin' emo!
usually has emo hair, short in the back and bangs over the eye
You cute when you scream <3
Some times its easier to be sad than trying not to be
You can't be emo without a tear-streaked journal...
The horror boo hoo
im me on aim and i send normal pic. whiskeygurl5253
fall in love with me_im emo
I cant find my glasses
its just me
Little Emo Kid (15 years old, lets cry about it)
Emo? No thank you
Ive got nothing to say x.x
The emoish "Mirror" photo.
emo is for hardcore lovers
heh my eyes .xo
Logan is so emoXcore.
don't make me cry ......
Im not emo! just misunderstood *sob*
It's Emo Cow
Wahoo.. another sad little emo girl. Xanga s/n: Vintage_xx_Queen
this is more of the happy emo.
"Four letter word"
COURTNEY IS THE SEX!
EMO is your daddy, and nobody else!!
Emo Eye ~ See those tears welling baby?
me being eeeemoooo.
ONCE AGAIN ANOTHER HOT EMO CHICK
A lot of Emo kids
HOT EMO CHICK
SO0 H0tt ♥
kill yourself and make the world a better place emo bitch. go cry.
Being emo AND walking into a door in one day, some people just have no luck.
I Love Thursday
hott emo guys are rad.
black hair..green eyes
So sad, too bad
The Used is her life
Emo With another flower
Dont overdose on emo...
*sniff* no body understands my pain *sniff*
in my emo phase....not looking at the cam..trying to be artsy
artwork by an emo
emo kid lolll
*sniffle* =( im so lame lol
awe i didbnt do thisss
xXx XCOREX XEMOX XGRINDX XCOREX xXx
awsome emo Tifeni
Poor lil' Emo dog )=
a very hungry mad depressed emo that was going to a concert to play in and it got canceled
I'm no Emo I'm Rocker
This cow is so emo. He's a total attention whore too.
Hot Emo Girl
stupid emo whore
Help me, I can't seem to find my glasses.
Having bangs doesn't make u "emo" u Posers.
This is an emo kid. A hot one too. Notice the black and white with coloured hair.
*insert "emo" lyrics* sad again
so emo right now...
i had to stop crying to take this picture
i'm going to go cry now... xx
This is me. I like to slit my wrist and spell badly. Im cool. I [heart] the thrift store
Pandas! on a side note emo is more than just not smiling it's all emotions, rites of spring just tried to emphasize emotions in music rather than political agendas in the punk and hardcore scene where if you weren't on the same page you didn't belong emo brings different people together just writing sincere more poetic music with diversity in among the music and how it's played. emo is often very misunderstood where it's one of the best things that's happened for music.
my emo looking friend thats not acturly emo CRAZY
Cry me a fucking river...
don't hate me... i'm indie i swear... *me when I was 13... gaah*
This is me thinking -- I think.
Vi from *the Incredibles*....e.m.o
just me..a sad day..rainbow of love*
hardore kid biotch
best interest..my gift of b-day
this image is sooo freaking EMO
I drew this in french
oh, so sad.
you have no idea
a hawaiian emo girl
the band just broke up
MY GIRLFRIEND HALEIGH
a hot emo guy
made especially for the everyday emo
because it does
REAL emo pictures have eyeliner and a high angle shot. most of these here are posers.
couldn't get any more emo than this..
Don't hate me cuz I'm emo... but even if you did hate me, I wouldn't care. I'd just write an accoustic song about it.
A new movie from Pixar And Disney.
My paper heart will bleed
purple as well as emo.
im not emo really.
just one of those days.
note: thick rimmed black square glasses, hoodie, peace and love poster, sad expression on face. perfect description of an emo kid.
I still taste you, thus, reserve my right to hate you
i say its not a word, but it should be
THAT iS EMO
no beauty in bleedin mascara
Lil Ol' Emo
id rather die than see your smile
And I can't make it on my own. Because my heart is in Ohio.
me with my emo glasses. me in happier times. *sniffles*
my hot emo girlfriend
because you kill me. you know you do. you kill me well. you like it too. and i can tell.
Psh..I'm so emo that I don't even have to look at the camera...
sad emo kids
as much of a smile as you'll ever see
oh it hurts so much to cryyyyyy
cheer up emo girl
Look what emo's did to poor pikachu!
every day i die a little more
I need a tissue
Don't hate me because I'm emo.
Im so emo wiht my pink eyemakeup...
Yeah, emo kids basically whine just for the sake of whining.
Generic emo photoshopped tear fest.
hot emo guy
Emo kid doesn't want to talk about it.
emo kids (by Rob Dobi)
1. Girls say they like "sensitive guys" (lie)
2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music and dresses like a dork so chicks will see that he is sensitive and not afraid to express himself (lie). He dyes his hair black, wraps himself in a stupid looking scarf, develops an eating disorder, and rants about how "nobody understands".
3. Now an emo guy, he meets Emo chick and they start dating, talking about how their well-off suburban lifestyles are terrible and depressing (lie)
4. Emo guy is just too much of a pussy. His penis is too small, he's too depressed to bathe, and has more mood swings than emo chick, and he doesn't even have a menstrual cycle. Emo chick dumps him, saying "It's not you, it's me." (lie) as she drives off with Wayne, the school jock and captain of the football team.
5. Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues.
This is the sad truth of the emo lifestyle/music, and now that I look at how pathetic it really is, maybe the emos DO have something to cry about!
boyfriend: I'm too sad to have sex.
girlfriend: I'm sad too; lets have sex and cry.
boyfriend: I'm already crying.
I just thought I'd clear that up after all of these "definitions" in which I have encountered an unbelievable amount of people who try to pass off their blatantly false pretenses as fact, and are slowly infecting others with their high-horse, holier-than-thou bullshit. Because honestly, with your ridiculous definitions, Beethoven, George Gershwin, and Britney Spears are/was "emo bands."
Now, onto the real definition.
In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as "Emotive Hardcore," spearheaded by Rites Of Spring. Harder-core-than-thou kids, who swore by Dischord Records a la Minor Threat, actually coined the term "Emo" as something of a put-down for the kids who really liked Rites Of Spring, Indian Summer and this new wave of "Emotive" Hardcore bands. That's right, "Emo" was once not something kids called themselves. The field exploded outwards from there - Level-Plane Records has always been the most famous Emo label. Acts like Yaphet Kotto, I Hate Myself, Saetia, Hot Cross, A Day In Black And White, Funeral Diner, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, You And I, and hosts of others came in the next decade. Most emo bands have since broken up, but there's still the occasional hold-out (again, the majority of Level-Plane Records' roster has been a procession of emo acts). Like most DIY hardcore/punk of the time, a majority found its way onto vinyl and not much else. Some people consider bands like Fugazi, and later Sunny Day Real Estate, a progression of emo, but personally, I don't quite follow that philosophy.
Often, more recently, this gets intertwined with post-hardcore, and understandably so - that's nothing to make an issue of, since well shit, at least it's close.
Since the late 90s, though, bands have been emerging in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, and the thousands of their clones. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing an article about them, decided "Well, fuck, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these bands "emo" - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock..." and the spiral continued downwards into the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is "emo."
Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bullshit, as 99% of bands make music to illicit emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely all-encompassing genre from classical to opera to pop to rap.
Hope that helps.
Rites of Spring is emo.
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: omg my gf just left me
acidburnedsoul: that sux man
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: i blame myself only i'm such an ass *cries*
acidburnedsoul: dude come over to my house and we can cut ourselves together
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: okay *cries*
acidburnedsoul: omg dashboard confessional has a new cd, i preordered it already
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: dude they're my favorite band to self-mutilate to
acidburnedsoul: i prefer to cut myself while watching Napoleon Dynamite on my bigscreen
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: dude that movie is so deep. i cry every time i see it
acidburnedsoul: me too. i hate myself
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: yeah we're such tortured souls, nobody understands how hard life is for us
acidburnedsoul: yeah we got it tough dude. pass the tissues