An Emo Kid is a term used to identify not one, but many different styles of dress, music and life styles, so this will be a rather broad definition. But, to make it easier, I will give the definition of only three different kinds of Emo kids. I am emo so I know what I am talking about.
1) There is the "Hard Core" Emo, who listens to very heavy music, usually made by under ground bands, but could possibly be semi mainstream. Examples of Hardcore Emo music would be bands such as Bring Me the Horizon, Arch Enemy, Berzeker, and others like that. These kids who are Hardcore Emos, dress in typical black and white, but are now moving to color, wearing lumberjack plaid and darker colors. They almost always have long hair, which is brushed over just above the eyebrows, not in front of but over. This is the kind of Emo that are not noticed as much as the others because they are not vocal about being Emo, but in all actuality they are the most common form of "Emo".
2) Now we come to the more stereotypical Emo, the one that listens to mellow Indie music and cries a lot (even though they don’t, a lot of people think they do). These Emo's are Emo even though they don't wear all black; instead they wear light colored cloths like white button down shirts and pale green scarves. Unlike the other forms of Emo Kids, you will rarely see these kids in Hot Topic, they more like thrift stores, or GAP, or sometimes American Eagle and Hollister (I know, it's really surprising!) We, in the Emo Subculture, call these kids Indie Emo, or just Emo. They listen to slightly more known bands like Death Cab for Cutie, Gym Class Heroes, Snow Patrol, and Playradioplay!. (Note to editor, Playradioplay! is the actual band name so don't "correct" that particular grammar mistake) These Emos are actually pretty rare to find, but they start most of the Emo styles.
3) Now this kind of “Emo” makes the rest of us in the subculture pretty mad. Now I will tell you why: because they aren’t, but they are the most vocal about being Emo. They are the ones who listen to bands like My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace, and all the other mainstream bands that real Emo Kids hate (Nothing against those bands if you happen to like them, but real Emo Kids just don’t like them). They are the kids who give Emos a bad name, with wrist slitting, crying a lot, and “Emo Kissing”. Real Emo’s call these kids, “Wanna-be Emo”, or if they are being nice, “Altern-Emo’s”. They are not real Emo’s. Most of these Kids are bi or homosexual in some form or another.
The point to all of this is that I got on here and, as an Emo, got annoyed by the people out side the Emo subculture trying to define an Emo. I kept seeing only the definition of the "Altern-Emo", so i thought i would put some light on this subject.
So now to a more broad definition that will completely remove “Altern-Emos” from the picture. Real Emos don’t listen to very much if any mainstream music, whether it be Death-core metal, or underground indie, it is usually not heard of by anyone other than the people in that subculture. They usually write a lot of poetry about love, life, friends, or the lack of all the above. Emo’s are very interested in art that has hidden meanings or dark symbolism imbedded in it, and most of the time only the artist knows what the symbolism is or what the hidden meaning of his/her picture or poetry is. They may or may not be involved with their family, depending on the person. Emos almost always have gone through trying Family or friend situations and while trying to deal with it turned to music and art, which usually leads them to being full fledged Emo.
Hardcore Emo Music
Bring Me the Horizon
The Devil Wears Parada
The Black Dahlia Murder
3 Inches of Blood
War From a Harlots Mouth
Cradel of Filth
*note: Many of these bands are not Emo them selves but Emo Kids may listen to them any way.
Indie Mellow-core music
The Mary Onetts
British Sea Power
The Faming Lips
The Black Ghosts
Tegan And Sarah
The Moldy Peaches
Shiny Toy Guns
The Spill Canvas
*note: Many of these bands are not Emo them selves but Emo Kids may listen to them any way.
COOL EMO KID: doesnt care what ppl think, likes a good band whether they are on mtv or not, and won't stop listening to some band just cuz everyone suddenly 'discovered' them. they do nothing to make ppl feel bad for them, and want no ones sympathy. they give everything a chance before deeming it cool or uncool. and if they want to kill themselves, they do it. they dont shop regularly at hot topic, but dont' completely disregard it. if there's something they want to buy, they go for it, and dont deny they bought it there. most of what they wear is from hand me downs, a garbage, a thrift shop, or was found. they dress how they want, and never deliberately try to piss ppl off or 'rebel'. if they do something rebellious, it is not just to be rebellious, it is because they want to/believe in doing it. they respect people who dont want to put drugs in their body, but some COOL EMO KIDS do drugs because they feel like it
ANNOYING EMO KID: those kids who regularly max out daddy's credit card at hot topic and tell everyone how depressed they are and that they cut their arms up every night wanting to die (ok...where are the scars?). they only listen to 'underground' bands adn immediately stop when someone they think is popular or preppy starts to listen to them, or they see them on mtv (which they claim never to watch, but they still do). they intentionally do stupid and rebellious things trying to make authority figures mad, thinking it's cool. these people are atte...
The stereotype for a kid(13-19) who has a lower tolerance for sad emotions, and feels inadiquet of their own personal worth(feels like they arent good enough). Many emos feel so depressed that they resort to cutting to themselves. Emo boys often weird girls pants and dye their hair black, with a pyrimid spiked belt, and tight tee shirts(usualy black). It is known that emos have a kind of rule that 2/5 of their face must be covered by hair, although it is actualy a subconscious feeling of wanting to cover up their sadness(eyes).
She's too good for me.
What is the point of my life?
I hate everything.
A social classification that has been bastardized by scenesters, rich preps, and wannabe goths united. A true emo kid does not label him/herself as being "emo"...often this label is foisted on him or her against the alleged emo kid's will. True emo kids listen to whatever the hell music they feel like, and it is often poetic or expressive. Emo is not a clothing style, cutting your wrists, or being a frequent buyer at Hot Topic. Those who call themselves "emo" are most likely just trying to be "scene
" and have really screwed up the genre through wearing generic, borderline gothic clothing that all their sad little friends wear.
FAKE EMO KID tries to be emo because it is "scene" at the moment. Is often rich and frequents expensive stores like Hot Topic to cultivate a flawless emo image. May go so far as to draw fake scars in strategic locations so as to look depressed and suicidal. Claims to listen to indie bands that no one else has heard...and neither has the fake emo kid.
TRUE EMO KID was most likely emo before this was a stupid fad. May shop at hot topic, but only if they actually like the clothing, not because they think it will make them look cool. Probably classified by friends and others as "emo"...the label is often not self-professed in the case of the true emo kid. Doesn't give a shit whether music is mainstream or not...it just has to be artistic.
One who rejects "pop culture" and joins the counter-culture realm. Usually has ideas contrary to popular opinion and seeks to gain a better understanding of life through artistic venues. May appear depressed, have black or red hair, and dress in a way that is contrary to what is popular. Thrift stores, art, coffee shops, underground music, and poetry are usually of great interest. Contrary to popular opinion, though an emo kid may seem depressed, within their own group there is an element of deep understanding and friendship. Emo kids see the world as beautiful, but its inhabitants as lost and depressing.
That good will shirt is so emo.
You guys obviously know nothing about emo people. If you ever actually go to a concert full of emo kids you'd see that..yes, the music has truthful lyrics that are mostly about a person reacting to a sad situation...one that all of us can relate to. But you'd also see that almost everyone there is happy or laughing about something and our bands are usually telling jokes about something or pointing out good things in life. Yes, we dress in band shirts ,jeans and studded wristbands and belts and some of us wear a type of emo-punkish bordering on gothic clothing (Those of you who are familiar with My Chemical Romance know what I mean). Emo kids are not pussies and we're not miserable. We're in touch with our feelings and we're comfortable with the way we feel. We are very in tune with ourselves and with one another (even if we dont know each other)and if you see us with our friends you'd see that we're usually laughing. Yes, we do always look very loving and we are very loving and approachable. We also do not spend our time making fun of others, we respect who they are and leave it at that..maybe you preppies and "real hardcore punks" could learn a few things from us. Oh and by the way, MOST OF US DO NOT WEAR BLACK RIMMED GLASSES ANYMORE! and we're also not all white and extra small bodied either. Update yourselves a little bit.
"As long as there's good music to listen to and good rock concerts to go to, I don't think that any of us should ever feel alone." - Bert (The Used)
1) The fans of emo music (emocore, emotional hardcore), a music genre consisting of hardcore rock with angsty lyrics and a good dose of screaming. The singers/screamers of emo music are typically relatively young guys with feminine voices. Emo bands are also (in stereotype) primarily from New Jersey.
2) The style of clothing stereotypically worn by fans of emo music. This consists of, in general: tight band t-shirts or vintage 80's t-shirts, longer (messy) hair often died black, tight (usual girl's) pants, shoes by Vans or Converse, messenger bags, anything checkered (usually black-and-white or black-and-pink), studded belts, thick-framed glasses, neckties, etc.
(Note: girl emo kids often cut their hair short in the back and angled down in the front, less often died black)
3) The mood that stereotypically displays being an emo kid. They are generally considered the subculture of high-school, and while sometimes referred to as manic depressive or "cutters," are usually quite social. Very romantic, often downtrodden. More realistically, teenagers who listen to heavy music and have no qualms with displaying their emotions. (ie, don't feel the need to prove themselves as "bad-@$$," like many rock fans.)
Emo kids listen to many of the following bands: Thursday, Death Cab for Cutie, UnderOath, Fallout Boy, Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, As Cities Burn, etc.
See also: punk
They dont want to be like everyone else. I personally am sick of seeing wiggers who think they are ghetto, but u dont see me bringing them down. We just like to listen to our music and relate to it. We dont want to bother other people so we deal with it differently..soo whats wrong with that?
the person with the headphones at lunch .. ; They want Love from a relationship not just ASS.