An Emo Kid is a term used to identify not one, but many different styles of dress, music and life styles, so this will be a rather broad definition. But, to make it easier, I will give the definition of only three different kinds of Emo kids. I am emo so I know what I am talking about.
1) There is the "Hard Core" Emo, who listens to very heavy music, usually made by under ground bands, but could possibly be semi mainstream. Examples of Hardcore Emo music would be bands such as Bring Me the Horizon, Arch Enemy, Berzeker, and others like that. These kids who are Hardcore Emos, dress in typical black and white, but are now moving to color, wearing lumberjack plaid and darker colors. They almost always have long hair, which is brushed over just above the eyebrows, not in front of but over. This is the kind of Emo that are not noticed as much as the others because they are not vocal about being Emo, but in all actuality they are the most common form of "Emo".
2) Now we come to the more stereotypical Emo, the one that listens to mellow Indie music and cries a lot (even though they don’t, a lot of people think they do). These Emo's are Emo even though they don't wear all black; instead they wear light colored cloths like white button down shirts and pale green scarves. Unlike the other forms of Emo Kids, you will rarely see these kids in Hot Topic, they more like thrift stores, or GAP, or sometimes American Eagle and Hollister (I know, it's really surprising!) We, in the Emo Subculture, call these kids Indie Emo, or just Emo. They listen to slightly more known bands like Death Cab for Cutie, Gym Class Heroes, Snow Patrol, and Playradioplay!. (Note to editor, Playradioplay! is the actual band name so don't "correct" that particular grammar mistake) These Emos are actually pretty rare to find, but they start most of the Emo styles.
3) Now this kind of “Emo” makes the rest of us in the subculture pretty mad. Now I will tell you why: because they aren’t, but they are the most vocal about being Emo. They are the ones who listen to bands like My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace, and all the other mainstream bands that real Emo Kids hate (Nothing against those bands if you happen to like them, but real Emo Kids just don’t like them). They are the kids who give Emos a bad name, with wrist slitting, crying a lot, and “Emo Kissing”. Real Emo’s call these kids, “Wanna-be Emo”, or if they are being nice, “Altern-Emo’s”. They are not real Emo’s. Most of these Kids are bi or homosexual in some form or another.
The point to all of this is that I got on here and, as an Emo, got annoyed by the people out side the Emo subculture trying to define an Emo. I kept seeing only the definition of the "Altern-Emo", so i thought i would put some light on this subject.
So now to a more broad definition that will completely remove “Altern-Emos” from the picture. Real Emos don’t listen to very much if any mainstream music, whether it be Death-core metal, or underground indie, it is usually not heard of by anyone other than the people in that subculture. They usually write a lot of poetry about love, life, friends, or the lack of all the above. Emo’s are very interested in art that has hidden meanings or dark symbolism imbedded in it, and most of the time only the artist knows what the symbolism is or what the hidden meaning of his/her picture or poetry is. They may or may not be involved with their family, depending on the person. Emos almost always have gone through trying Family or friend situations and while trying to deal with it turned to music and art, which usually leads them to being full fledged Emo.
Hardcore Emo Music
Bring Me the Horizon
The Devil Wears Parada
The Black Dahlia Murder
3 Inches of Blood
War From a Harlots Mouth
Cradel of Filth
*note: Many of these bands are not Emo them selves but Emo Kids may listen to them any way.
Indie Mellow-core music
The Mary Onetts
British Sea Power
The Faming Lips
The Black Ghosts
Tegan And Sarah
The Moldy Peaches
Shiny Toy Guns
The Spill Canvas
*note: Many of these bands are not Emo them selves but Emo Kids may listen to them any way.
|emo kids videos|
|Emo Kids images|
The stereotype for a kid(13-19) who has a lower tolerance for sad emotions, and feels inadiquet of their own personal worth(feels like they arent good enough). Many emos feel so depressed that they resort to cutting to themselves. Emo boys often weird girls pants and dye their hair black, with a pyrimid spiked belt, and tight tee shirts(usualy black). It is known that emos have a kind of rule that 2/5 of their face must be covered by hair, although it is actualy a subconscious feeling of wanting to cover up their sadness(eyes).
She's too good for me.
What is the point of my life?
I hate everything.
1) The fans of emo music (emocore, emotional hardcore), a music genre consisting of hardcore rock with angsty lyrics and a good dose of screaming. The singers/screamers of emo music are typically relatively young guys with feminine voices. Emo bands are also (in stereotype) primarily from New Jersey.
2) The style of clothing stereotypically worn by fans of emo music. This consists of, in general: tight band t-shirts or vintage 80's t-shirts, longer (messy) hair often died black, tight (usual girl's) pants, shoes by Vans or Converse, messenger bags, anything checkered (usually black-and-white or black-and-pink), studded belts, thick-framed glasses, neckties, etc.
(Note: girl emo kids often cut their hair short in the back and angled down in the front, less often died black)
3) The mood that stereotypically displays being an emo kid. They are generally considered the subculture of high-school, and while sometimes referred to as manic depressive or "cutters," are usually quite social. Very romantic, often downtrodden. More realistically, teenagers who listen to heavy music and have no qualms with displaying their emotions. (ie, don't feel the need to prove themselves as "bad-@$$," like many rock fans.)
Emo kids listen to many of the following bands: Thursday, Death Cab for Cutie, UnderOath, Fallout Boy, Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, As Cities Burn, etc.
See also: punk, emo
Emo is basicly the new trend or whatever?? Umm...you are not emo if you go around telling people you're emo and wear shirts that actually say the word EMO on them. Half the people following this trend were WIGGERS last year and are all of a sudden talking about how rap is forbidden if you wanna be emo. You can't just wake up one day and decide you're going to chop your hair unevenly and cake on eyeliner. People need to understand that. People also need to quit sterotyping kids that are emo. That just proves that they are pathetic and have nothing better to do than judge people. And no...not all emo kids are obsessed with their hair and not all emo guys wear "girl pants" or whatever you wanna call them, and not all emos cut themselves and show their scars off! If they really are emotional and do cut themselves then they aren't going to show anyone. They will try and cover it up.
OMG turn it! I like can't listen to rap!! I will like go and cut myself if you keep it there because I hang out with the emo kids now and we aren't allowed to listen to this stuff!!
According to basically everyone, I am an emo kid, so I guess you could say I have "insight".
Not all emo kids hurt themselves. The ones that do sure as hell don't parade around showing the scars off.
Another thing about cutting: It's addicting, and it's hard to get over, so i would advise you all not to do it. Depression and suicide are serious problems, and the whole emo craze has made them a joke.
When did the whole "sweaters and too-small clothes" become emo? it makes no sense. Most of the emo kids are essentially hiding behind the black and strange clothing. We wear what we want. A lot of us are already outcasted, so why not wear whatever?
For most the emo kids i know, music is their life. It's mine,too. Non-poseurs don't listen to certain things just to be considered "emo". Emo is overrated and misunderstood, to be completely honest.
And My Chemical Romance is not emo. I'm sorry to all you haters out there, but they're not.
You're not emo kids just because you wear black.
You don't wear black just becuse you're depressed.
Wear what you want. Who cares?
"You should never feel the fucking need to hurt yourself, because this world is gonna hurt you fucking worse than you could hurt yourself." Gerard Way
An Emo Kid, is someone who's EMOTIONAL, Emotional doesn't necessarily mean sad all the time, it just means that emotions waver easily. I'm emo, I'm not always sad, I don't have a specific emotion that I stick to for attention, just when we do have a strong emotion, it's very deep and, yes it is kind of a style aswell, with the drain pipe jeans thing, and the side fringe, except right now I have a foward fringe, so the stereotype doesnt exactly always apply, don't judge us, everyone should be allowed to be who they want to be.
Emo kids -
Dedicated in love
Obvious when we're sad or happy
We're not all loners either
First, I am going to tell you what emo is not.
Emo is not "omgzz i'm gonna go slit my wrists." It is not the stereotypical tight jeans and shirts on both sexes. Emo is not always a genre of music.
Emo means (and please don't get all mad at me, but this is what my experience tells me) means pretty much emotional.
Now, it doesn't mean that the kid is always depressed and sad and mopey, it just means that the kid goes through mood swings relatively fast.
Now, emo kids can be seen wearing a typical tight demeanor (tight clothing) with flats, odd, clashing accessories, and greasy (or not) hair with long bangs. Black eyeliner as well. But this does not mean that all emo's wear the same thing. They can wear whatever the hell they want, but this style attracts lots of Emo Kids.
Some emo kids are actually always depressed, but I like to call these... depressed kids. NOT emo's. These are the kind of kids who give a bad name to emo's and are the main stereotype for emo's.
I don't really understand why everybody thinks it's funny to stereotype emo's as suicide victims and ungrateful depressed people.
It's not really like that.
Emo kid 1 : My boyfriend broke up with me.
Emo Kid 2 : Thats too bad. Wanna come over to watch a movie?
Emo Kid 1 : Yeah, that'd be fun. I can show you my new skinny jeans.
Emo Kids 2 : Rad. Come on over.
The look (for guys): shaggy hair, tight pants, vintage 80's tshirt, vans (shoes),tote bag swung around their waist with buttons and safety pins, thick framed glasses.
The personality (varies): sweet, romantic, depressed, heart felt.
"cheer up emo kid" =)