Popular belief. Often ghetto terminology for this meaning.
SETTING : IN A SCHOOL
"I heard you don't know what a cat is."
"Word on the streets."
"It was a joke."
1) A rumor going around; what everyone is saying.
2) A bastardization of "That's true, according to popular belief or my own opinion."
1) "Everyone talkin' about word on the street and what dat nigga said. I don't give a fuck about what dat nigga said. Ho ass niggaz talk to goddamn much. Stay to yo' own, get yo' own...beeotch!" -Snoop Dogg ("Bitch Niggaz")
Bartholomew: "Man deez hoes only out to get da money. Gotta get they hair done and they nails done...damn dogg a playa just gotta get his nob slobbed sometimes. Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks!"
Ebenezer: "Word on the street."
A term used to tell someone of a rumor but without having to mention who the rumor was from. It gives the listener the false impression that a lot of people know of this rumor mainly because of the word "streets".
1: "Ay, word on the streets is that wifey's been with your cousin Rome."
2: "Yo, where the fuck you get that from?"
A term used to tell someone of a rumor, it can be of a positive or negative sentiment. As a negative sentiment the rumor is without a source or anonymous and gives the listener the false impression that a lot of people know of this rumor mainly because of the word "streets". as a positive sentiment the rumor is based on visual facts and declare a positive response.
Negative sentiment: "Ay, word on the streets is that wifey's been with your cousin Rome."
Positive sentiment: Hey dude, surfs up and its firing-off at the point; let's go get wet!
1. A convenient way of spreading a rumor, by placing it before your own opinion.
2. A convenient way of labeling a common truth.
1. Yo dawg. Word on the street is you got da clap.
2.Zack: Yo Pauline! Waas da word on da street?
Zack: Damn right!
information or gossip derived from sources outside mainstream society, usually judged as more reliable by the criminal underclass and mafiosi/gangster-types.
Carlo Bartolucci: That phone call I got, it came from outside high walls and fancy gates; it comes from a place you know about maybe from the movies. But I come from out there, and everybody out there knows, everybody lies: cops lie, newspapers lie, parent's lyin'. The one thing you can count on - word on the street... yeah, that's solid.
"I guess I shoulda included that above....guess I wasn't thinking. -_-' it happens."