1. Having a view of the arm coming towards the camera, showing that the person is taking the picture of themselves (expressing how bored or insecure they must be)
2. Looking emo or sad for no reason.. (the typical 'depressed face/black and white film/turning away from the camera/dark makeup/wearing hoodie/attempt at being artsy' sort of picture)
3. Cleavage (not random folks)
4. The picture is usually accompanied by some sort of caption that involves an attempt at being profound with a dramatic quote or sometimes involving lyrics to a song that the person may not even listen to but rather have it on there to make themselves look deep or intellectual
5. About 230983 of the same shot on their myspace page where the only difference is that the pictures are from slightly different angles
6. After the picture is posted, it is usually followed by
A) a (few) bulliten(s).. explaining their intense need for YOU to comment their new picture. Sometimes involving an 'image comment bribe' where the bulliten poster will bribe the reader of the bulliten with an image comment only and only if the reader of the bulliten comment's their own picture. (also known as an 'image comment exchange')
B) The bulliten may also trick the reader to open the bulliten by labeling the title of it with a name such as 'who i LIKE..' thus reeling the reader into opening the bulliten and instead of finding out that the bulliten poster LIKES a certain person, they find out that the bulliten poster actually has new pictures.. and they LIKE attention.
7. This bulliten, depending on how desperate it seems, will result in a few insincere image comments. This is where friends lie to friends on how good they look when in reality, the person does not look so amazing that 1,000 exclamation points following a compliment are necessary!