Used to give a bit of pseudo-academic gravitas to stupid viral shit.
A 'meme' doesn't have to be funny, provocative or even make sense. Most memes fall into one of three categories:
- 'Quirky' stuff that isn't funny.
- Pathetic stuff that fills you with vicarious despair.
- Revolting pictures that could be presented to some alien jury as evidence that humanity is cancer.
All that is required for a meme to succeed is for a critical mass of basement dwellers to get in on it. This being done, it will be spread over bulletin boards everywhere like the pox. Much drama and the locking of thousands of discussions across the web will follow, for what is known to the trolling elite as 'lulz'.
This word defies easy definition. It lost touch with 'funny' long ago, and now looks suspiciously like the sort of drama-whoring same 'elite' correctly pans.
The meme having taken hold, they and similar circle-jerking gobfags proceed with a relentless propaganda onslaught on its behalf, which culminates in several hundred fucktarded spinoffs and maybe - if it's clean - a spot on the news.
At this point, the sneering pricks who first publicised the 'meme' declare it to be 'old' and begin to snipe at anyone still found to be using it.
Said pricks then go back onto 4chan to find 'new memes'. Maybe a cute animal saying something incongruous. Maybe four old men eating each other's shit. Maybe someone failing on Youtube. Rinse and repeat, FOR TEH LULZ you pitiful fur in the arteries of mankind.
Nobody will guess we're stupid, talentless and generally loathsome if we call it a meme.
- Hey, I notice you've posted 500 of that Vietnamese amputee shitting blood into the mouth of a circus acrobat in the last 8 hours. When you get called out on it, you try to appear like you're too cool to care. Yet you nurture this picture like the son you will never have. What does this say about you?
- STFU faggot imgmungfeast/img
1 : an idea, belief or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture either vertically by cultural inheritance (as by parents to children) or horizontally by cultural acquisition (as by peers, information media, and entertainment media)
2 : a pervasive thought or thought pattern that replicates itself via cultural means; a parasitic code, a virus of the mind especially contagious to children and the impressionable
3 : the fundamental unit of information, analogous to the gene in emerging evolutionary theory of culture
- meme pool (n.) : all memes of a culture or individual
- memetic (adj.) : relating to memes
- memetics (n.) : the study of memes
4 : in blogspeak, an idea that is spread from blog to blog
5 : an internet information generator, especially of random or contentless information
(Etymology : meme : derived from the Greek mimëma, 'something imitated', by Richard Dawkins in 1976)
Santa Claus is a more persistent meme than weasel frosting.
An item of pop culture propogated via word of mouth. Usually used in reference to the latest cool website that is propogated by e-mail.
Mahir, of "I kiss you" and "I invitate you to Turkey" fame.
"All your base are belong to us" the flash video, song, and Photoshopped photos.
Strong Bad and Trogdor the Burninator.
"A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to mutation, crossover and adaptation."
Kinda like a viral video that people keep making parodies and remakes of. =D
Pronounced (Meem; rhymes with dream)
Dude #1: Hey, "Unforgivable" is such a meme! Everyone's making a version of their own!
Dude #2: We should make "Old Greg" into a meme.
Dude #1: ....
Dude #2: ??? ......
Dude #1: No.
An inside joke of the internet and those that lurk around it.
The "rick roll" is an older, overused meme.
A meme is a funny or ironic kind of joke you remember but you cannot really describe it or tell to anyone unless you share it and other people can understand it.
There's a relative association with the word *meme*, used to describe a cultural phenomena of image macro series related with funny or ironic situations or phrases about almost any popular topic.
* From Greek mythology, derivated from Mneme o Mnemea, refers to the "Memory" itself, which is one of the muses according to "Pausanias".
* Other meanings of this word could be derivated from the Greek language as "Dead Joke" (not funny joke).
Look at all these meme's:
- Trollface meme
- Forever Alone meme
- Scumbag Steve meme
- Y U NO Guy meme
- Joseph Ducreux meme
- Kanye West meme
- Dos Equis Man meme
- Hipster Cat meme
- X ALL THE THINGS meme
- Condescending Wonka meme
- Advice animals meme
A meme is a theoretical unit of cultural information transmission that is reproduced (i.e. produced over and over again) on a large scale by active agents whose means of appropriation rely on the interplay between (pre-existing) biological, socio-cultural, and technological formations or assemblages.
A meme is:
- A theoretical unit of cultural information transmission that is indefinite.
- A widespread reproduction or re-appropriation of an existing cultural ‘thing’.
- Not just a veracious imitation according to one’s ability to perceive and copy.
- Not a reactive emotion (although emotions are often involved in the meme-process).
- But instead: a reproduction that is inferred by pre-existing knowledge and human intention.
- Dependent on biological, socio-cultural and technological formations.
- And on pre-existing memes that have already been circulating through culture.
In contrast to what prevalent notions of the meme concept suggest, including Dawkins, a meme cannot be viewed as a contagious entity which 'infects' people when crossing their paths. Although some ideas, concepts, or practices may be more attractive and have a greater chance of being appropriated, memes do not act in the same manner as biological viruses.