A 'marero' is just like a cholo or a vato, (black-ink tattoos of the Virgen Guadalupe/Suyapa, chino-pants, etc) only that mareros don't have enough profit as cholos or vatos.more...
Rumors say that they originated in L.A. barrios, but they mostly poblate Central American countries, (Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, etc) going on rampage killing cops and other mareros.
'Mara' = Gang, therefore
'Marero' = Gangster
INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT OF YOUR EVERY-DAY MARERO
1) the loyal machete
2) if enough money is supplied, a cheap gun
3) a chimba, (home-made gun)
5) anything that leaves bruises
SHINY THINGS THAT ATTRACT MAREROS
1) celphones (in Honduras they kill you for a celphone)
5) shoes. yes, mareros are just like your little sister, they are crazed about shoes. give them the shoes or else.
6) anything that shines
Mareros are just like gangsters when it comes to packs, there are about 2-3 main maras (gangs), with some other smalls ones, and they don't get along.
Being robbed by a marero in Central America is no big deal. People who don't have cars and have to go by cab/foot around town get robbed...