1. A type of music that puts emphasis on beats 2 and 4.
2. A rhythmic quality in music where a beat either is slightly late or gives the illusion of being slightly late.
3. A personal trait of being late.
1. James Brown
's music was groundbreaking in putting emphasis on the first beat; he called such music "the one."
2. Lay that snare drum down in a more relaxed manner, more backbeat.
3. Ricky is always late to rehearsal, he's so backbeat.
in jazz, rhythmic accent of a secondary nature (1940's); one's heart movement.
I could almost listen to the back beat of her heart, soft but abrupt at the same time when I hugged her tight.