1) The language of weeaboos.
2) Someone who has an unhealthy obsession with Japan. Literally 'wannabe Japanese'. They think all Japanese people like anime, manga, cosplay, etc. Just because I'm American does that mean I am in love with Hanna-Barbera cartoons? No! So stop acting like all Japanese love anime. Jesus Christ.
Some signs of being Wapanese are:
(Remember these are the symptoms, not the disease.)
-Always being in the manga section of bookstores or, more likely, the library. Simply looking at manga and maybe getting a few of your fave series does not equal Wapanese. NOT EQUAL!!!
-Thinking that Japan is superior to, um, everything.
-Assuming that all Japanese people are EXACTLY like they are portrayed in anime.
-Pretending to know everything about Japan and its culture from reading/watching a few manga/anime.
-Liking something just because it's Japanese.
Someone is not Wapanese if:
-They only have bad language skills because they are still learning.
-They do not pretend to know everything.
-They genuinely like something, not are just infatuated with Japan.
-They understand kimono and yukata are not for everyday wear, nor is cosplay. If it's a special occasion, wearing the former is ok. Only wear the latter if:
a) It's Halloween.
b) You are going to something later (i.e. Sakuracon)
c) It is a con, or a costume party.
-Their playlist includes at least 50% non-Japanese music.
1) OMG!!! That kimono is super kawaii desu!!
Neko baka desudesudesu~! >:( (the smiley is not wapanese)
2) Marina is such a wapanese. She refuses to see the bad parts of Japan. I mean if someone in America killed her mom she'd be pissed and sad. If someone from Japan did, she'd probably rape that person. She randomly spazzes out like they do in anime. Jeesh, someone kill it, please.
“Wapanese” are decidedly caucasian individuals who, by means of thoroughly warped postmodern acculturation processes, have come to the decision that it is in their best interest to act as if they were denizens of the nation of Japan. The term “wapanese” can be accurately though of as an analog to wigger. A whitey can be classified as a “Wapanese” if they are in possession of two or more of the following defining traits:more...
1. Has an unhealthy obsession with shallow, saccharine and intellectually insulting animation shows (also refered to as anime by the nerd elite) originally tailored for young Japanese children
2. Operates under the erroneous belief that every aspect of American culture is vastly inferior to that of Japan’s – even though 99.9% of Wapanese have never had firsthand experience of any sort with their preferred culture (in other words, they’ve never set so much as one foot upon the island(s) of Japan)
3. Halfheartedly studies Japanese language and/or is a part-time practitioner of martial arts
4. Has a sword (samurai swords only, of course) collection
5. Is a Virgin
6. May be afflicted with a terminal case of yellow fever
There is a difference between watching anime and being Wapanese.
An anime watcher does just that, he watches anime.
The Wapanese watch anime and will think they were born and raised in Japan.
An anime watcher may use a quote now an then from an anime he likes.
The Wapanese will try to learn Japanese, but not the correct way, from watching anime. They'll only learn a few words and use them with English, using what is called Japanglish.
An anime watcher will watch what he can on television or maybe buy a video or DVD.
The Wapanese will buy untranslated anime and translate them horribly. They will proceed to gripe and complain that their hacked up garbage is better than anything ever made.
An anime watcher will do nothing else.
Due to a chemical imbalance in their heads, the Wapanese will denounce their country, stalk Asian girls, eat nothing but Asian food, grow disgustingly huge and/or pale, live in their parents house until they are 30 or older, and generally be annoyances for the rest of their lives or until they snap out of it, which usually happens around 9th or 10th grade.
by anonymous Jul 5, 2003 add a video
Wapanese is the term used to describe a person of non-japanese descent (usually white, however some others are lumped in there as well) who is incredibly obsessed with Japanese things.more...
A person who watches anime or majors in Japanese language at university is not counted as wapanese.
These are common behaviours displayed by wapanese:
1. Being obsessed with anime. The typical anime watcher enjoys the shows because they are fun to watch and interesting (not all are for children, that is a myth). However, wapanese will take it to an unhealthy level.
2. Their rooms will be filled with japanese things. Anything from anime stuff to japanese things such as Tatami. A true wapanese will have next to nothing non-japanese in their room.
3. Many wapanese will believe that Japan is the best country ever and that if they go there they will be adored. However, most wapanese don't understand that Japan is a very racist society and they don't like white people very much.
Wannabe Japanese. NOT "white japanese" or anything like that, WANNABE JAPANESE.
This definition doesn't only pertain to white people, idiots. Stop being racist.
Those outside of Japanese culture, who, through fandom and such, have somehow gotten the idea that Japan is better than wherever they are living, and try their hardest to be Japanese. This behavior, however, may show in people who aren't Japanese, and simply enjoy the Japanese culture they know, having no desire to be Japanese or idea that Japan is better than where they live. Wapanese are the extreme stereotype of obsession with Japanese culture.
If it's Japanese, I LIKE IT. (Shallow minded?)
See "The Last Samurai"
No, seriously, go see that movie if you want a very good definition. Tom Cruise's character is totally Wapanese.
A derogatory term used to describe any person fanatical about the Japanese culture and tries to become Japanese at any expense(and usually failing.)
A wapanese person is more acurately described as a social misfit that tries to find belonging by means of the Japanese Culture by entering a group or other groups of people with similar background and common interest(that being the Japanese culture.)
This person often finds the Japanese culture to be superior to any other culture(usually in defense of their newly found place of being), and finds great pride in showing off a new word or new words he/she has learned from an anime or a word from a manga he/she translated, and often insults those that DO know Japanese because the speaker doesn't truly know what he/she said.(there are no true curse words in Japanese, btw, just different terms which can be insulting in a situation).
This term (wapanese) is often indiscriminately applied to any person whom watch anime in general (a generally mild misnomer as anime is simply a cartoon and should be treated as such. Even though the drawing style and types of activity are mildly different(note that Dragon Ball Z is only loosely an anime as it more poorly animated gibberish that hyperactive 14 year-olds lose pent up energy on.))