1. They parade around public places drinking Ramune and eating Pocky, telling everyone within earshot that it's Japanese and oh so good.
2. They buy only Japanese clothing through the internet, or they buy cosplay outfits off of ebay and wear them during events such as Halloween, or even worse, during any day of the year.
3. They claim to be "teaching themselves Japanese" but only know a few words and spell/pronounce them wrong.
4. They use online translators to translate their MySpace profiles to Japanese, so that none of their friends can read it and they can feel smart/superior. Should someone who actually understands Japanese try to read it, they wouldn't understand it either because it was done through a cheap ass translator.
5. They get offended and make excuses (I was tired, I have bad spelling, "whatever") when someone who actually understands Japanese corrects their bad grammar/spelling/pronunciation.
6. They only listen to Japanese music, and worship Japanese bands and singers as if they were gods. They also spend hours at a time watching videos of their favorite Japanese bands "being funny" on YouTube.
7. Their rooms are filled with Japanese things like stuffed animals, Samurai swords, anime, manga and games. Their bedroom walls are covered in pictures of Japanese bands or characters from manga and anime.
8. They name all of their pets after Japanese band members, anime and manga characters.
9. They are obsessed with and chase after Japanese boys and girls, but always fail to get with one.
10. They claim they want to move to and live in Japan, and act as if they are superior just for making that decision.
11. They ask everyone to call them by their Japanese name.
Wapanese Kid: "No, I only listen to Japanese bands."
The snottier they sound about it, the more Wapanese they are.
1. Has an unhealthy obsession with shallow, saccharine and intellectually insulting animation shows (also refered to as anime by the nerd elite) originally tailored for young Japanese children
2. Operates under the erroneous belief that every aspect of American culture is vastly inferior to that of Japan’s – even though 99.9% of Wapanese have never had firsthand experience of any sort with their preferred culture (in other words, they’ve never set so much as one foot upon the island(s) of Japan)
3. Halfheartedly studies Japanese language and/or is a part-time practitioner of martial arts
4. Has a sword (samurai swords only, of course) collection
5. Is a Virgin
6. May be afflicted with a terminal case of yellow fever; however, they constantly fail in their quest for Japanese pootytang
7. Extreme cases may traipse around whilst wearing a “costume” that makes them resemble their favorite anime characters (this practice is reffered to as cosplay; cross-dressing and raging homosexuality is not an uncommon component of cosplay.
Interestingly, Wapanese are generally though of as “failures” and rejects within their own culture. Social scientists such as myself speculate that it was their failure to gain acceptance within their own culture than has lead many a white geek to seek out Japan’s culture as a surrogate; however, they’d be shattered to know that the insular and somewhat racist Japanese society would be even less accepting of them than the people of their true and native culture.
An anime watcher does just that, he watches anime.
The Wapanese watch anime and will think they were born and raised in Japan.
An anime watcher may use a quote now an then from an anime he likes.
The Wapanese will try to learn Japanese, but not the correct way, from watching anime. They'll only learn a few words and use them with English, using what is called Japanglish.
An anime watcher will watch what he can on television or maybe buy a video or DVD.
The Wapanese will buy untranslated anime and translate them horribly. They will proceed to gripe and complain that their hacked up garbage is better than anything ever made.
An anime watcher will do nothing else.
Due to a chemical imbalance in their heads, the Wapanese will denounce their country, stalk Asian girls, eat nothing but Asian food, grow disgustingly huge and/or pale, live in their parents house until they are 30 or older, and generally be annoyances for the rest of their lives or until they snap out of it, which usually happens around 9th or 10th grade.
A person who watches anime or majors in Japanese language at university is not counted as wapanese.
These are common behaviours displayed by wapanese:
1. Being obsessed with anime. The typical anime watcher enjoys the shows because they are fun to watch and interesting (not all are for children, that is a myth). However, wapanese will take it to an unhealthy level.
2. Their rooms will be filled with japanese things. Anything from anime stuff to japanese things such as Tatami. A true wapanese will have next to nothing non-japanese in their room.
3. Many wapanese will believe that Japan is the best country ever and that if they go there they will be adored. However, most wapanese don't understand that Japan is a very racist society and they don't like white people very much.
4. They will constantly post things on the internet containing a few of the japanese words they know. These words are usually: kawaii and baka. These words will be used in an english sentence such as: "You are so baka"
5. Many wapanese will develope an unhealthy obsession with asian girls/guys. Many of them will refuse to be with someone who isn't japanese.
6. wapanese tend to spend all of their time watching anime, reading manga and listening to japanese music. A lot of them are unemployed and live at home with their parents (some are students, some are over 30). The ones who do have jobs, have very poor jobs, such as working at a supermarket.
7. Wapanese listen to tons of japanese music but will refuse to listen to anything non-japanese. They also tend to say that non-japanese music is crap while the japanese music is godly. However, most wapanese tend to listen to Japanese Pop which can be very, very similar to non-Japanese pop.
8. Many wapanese do cosplay. However, many normal anime watchers cosplay as well. However, wapanese tend to overdo it and act very elitist at conventions.
9. Most wapanese know very little about Japan. They don't look past the anime and whatnot. Most wapanese don't know anything about Japan's history. However many wapanese will pretend to know what they are talking about, however they tend to be incorrect.
10. Wapanese also tend to butcher the language (besides using them in english sentences). A good example is the meaning of otaku. The wapanese will use it to describe themselves, however most don't realize that otaku in Japan means you are very mentally unstable. Otaku in Japan are looked down upon and ridiculed.
Those who cosplay, dress in japanese fashion, watch anime, etc. aren't considered wapanese until the unhealthy obsession is present.
A wapanese person is more acurately described as a social misfit that tries to find belonging by means of the Japanese Culture by entering a group or other groups of people with similar background and common interest(that being the Japanese culture.)
This person often finds the Japanese culture to be superior to any other culture(usually in defense of their newly found place of being), and finds great pride in showing off a new word or new words he/she has learned from an anime or a word from a manga he/she translated, and often insults those that DO know Japanese because the speaker doesn't truly know what he/she said.(there are no true curse words in Japanese, btw, just different terms which can be insulting in a situation).
This term (wapanese) is often indiscriminately applied to any person whom watch anime in general (a generally mild misnomer as anime is simply a cartoon and should be treated as such. Even though the drawing style and types of activity are mildly different(note that Dragon Ball Z is only loosely an anime as it more poorly animated gibberish that hyperactive 14 year-olds lose pent up energy on.))