1. A French-language slur used against Anglophones in Quebec. It means square head used particularly often against Anglophones who know little French. Commonly used in Eastern Montreal where individuals may be perceived as anti-French for two reasons:more...
a) It is often assumed that Anglophones are native Montrealers; use of English in this area may be perceived as having an anti-French connotation.
b) Because Francophones in Quebec must take English in school, it is assumed by some Francophones that Anglophones in other parts of Canada should be taking French, and that ignorance of French means a rejection of its importance by these people. It is not widely understood in Quebec that in some areas of Canada students may choose to study a local minority second language.
An Anglophone who tries to order food at a restaurant or ask for help in a shop using English or stumbling French may overhear the term used against them.
2. Used by Francophones against Anglophone bigots and by Francophone bigots against Anglophones. Francophone bigots tend to think that all English Canadians are a homogeneous mass of hateful French-bashers... Rather than a diverse group of people who are mostly quite enamoured with the beauty and culture of La Belle Province.
Because the term is a physical-stereotype, it can be seen as a "racializing slur."
3. The term can be seen as a counterpoint to the term "frog", which is mostly used by Anglophone bigots against Francophones.
An English-Canadian bigot, an obtuse and arrogant person convinced of his/her innate superiority over anyone who isn't white, Anglo-Saxon and Protestant. Someone nostalgic of an era when British colonial rule had spread worldwide. Clusters of Tête carrées can be found in Montréal (West-Island) and more specifically the borough of Westmount.
Origins remain vague.
Regarde-le donc, un autre tête carré.
1. Québécois French expression meaning "square head", refering to the square-like shape of the heads of most Anglophones in Canada.
2. Some sort of pick-up drivin' inbred from Alberta who's wife is more manly than himself and who is convinced that Mario Lemieux was born in Manitoba and that the province of Quebec actually praises nazi-like doctrines, while being proud of the fact that his own province castrated the mentally ill in the 1930's.
3. An asshole from Ontario who spents most of his day in a Tim Hortons, while day-dreaming of the Queen's upcoming visit of the Province.
4. Another asshole from Ontario who heard all is life that the Quebecois were nothing but hysteric faggots, only to realize that it is not entirely true when he gets beaten senseless in a bar-brawl he started himself one night in Quebec City, because he didn't know how to drink beer that is more than 5% alc./vol.
1. Frog #1: "Hey have you seen Stephen Harper's head?"
Frog #2: "Yeah, I wish he'd always be near my couch while I'm watching the game: I sure could use his perfectly flat tête carrée to make sure that my beer won't spill..."
2. Tête carrée #1: "All Quebeckers are fucking faggots! We should let them quit Canada! It's our fucking country! We founded it in 1534 when our man Jake Carter first arrived on the coast of British Columbia! Read your fucking history books morons!"
Tête carrée #2: "Fuckin' right, eh! Wanna go downtown? There's a public hanging taking place by the Tim Hortons."
Tête carrée #1: "What is it for?"
Tête carrée #2: "Some dude stole cattle from his neighbor..."
3. "Awwww! The Queen! She's as pretty as Pierre Elliot Trudeau!"
4. Tête carrée: "You Quebeckers are nothing but FAGS! (Throws up his beer on the bar's floor)"
Québécois dude: "On va tellement t'en câlisser-une mon hostie d'tête carrée!"