1. Slice a regularly sized lemon or lime into eight small pieces.
2. Fill a shot glass with tequila.
3. Briefly lick the skin between your thumb and forefinger, then sprinkle 1 small pinch of salt (kosher salt melts quickly) onto the area. The lick makes it stick.
4. Using the same hand that contains the salt, you must hold one slice of the lime with your thumb and index finger.
5. Quickly lick the salt, down the tequila, and bite the lime. Swish it around in your mouth for a couple of seconds and then swallow.