Melbourne is a sexy, cosmopolitan city located in the state of Victoria, Australia. If Melbourne were personified she would be gorgeous, aromatic, and a'la mode, sipping on a mocha. Its Australia's fashion capital, not to mention the centre of the arts, culture, shopping and food. And yes there is a 'friendly regional rivalry' between Melbourne and Sydney. And as others have had stabs at the worlds most liveable city, I'd like to provide some real defence, as un-biasedly as I can:
* Melbourne actually got to be a capital for a while (1901-27), sydney never did. In fact the High Court of Australia was only moved to Canberra in 1980.
* I'm sure many love 'footy' and rugby, yet Football (aka soccer) is the world game and played by the world's masses, making both these sports quite insignificant in regards to any 'claim of superiority' by either city.
* Melbourne hosted the Olympics nearly half a century before sydney, and still holds bigger and more significant events, eg Melbourne Cup, Australian Tennis Open, Grand Prix etc, plus a stack of other art/food/fashion festivals already mentioned.
* As a city there actually is some marvellous architecture, too much to mention, though some already has been. The Opera house is a gem however, but I'm rather over the bridge. Melbourne's city planning is undoubtedly superior to sydney, and everyone knows it, with its roads and streets, esp in the CBD. And let's not forget Melbourne's intricate transport system. It's modern yet also charming, with so many sleek cafe's and 'eateries' tucked away in its laneways. Our tollways have E-Tags, which sydney should invest in. Stopping to pay on the freeway? Plus the congestion to follow, its ridicilous. Not forgetting the road lanes, which are dangerously small.
* The rest becomes rather trivial, but what the heck-
the Harbour Bridge's fireworks-its been done, no-one cares.
Melbourne has the taller office building (Rialto Towers) and residential tower (Eureka Tower), yet sydney still has the tallest structure in general (Centrepoint). Melbourne's Crown Casino is larger than sydney's Star City and so is Melbourne's National Gallery of Victoria, compared to sydney's Art Gallery of New South Wales.
And some of the lame things I've heard. Better beaches? We have some fantastic beaches, yet don't deny Bondi's superior popularity. At least our beaches are 'war free'. People also 'give shit' to Melbourne's weather. What is that, is that meant to be a 'call'? Does anyone even care? If anything it's never boring and sydney actually gets more rain. Someone even mentioned gang warfare what the hell? And I've heard of racial tension, but race hate gangs? Unheard of in Melbourne. 'Wogs' and 'Skips' generally get along very well here. And Melbournians raving on about what we have? Dont flatter yourselves Melbourne really doesn't need to prove anything to sydney.
Sydney loser: "Damn I need new shoes."
another Sydney loser: "How much does a ticket to Melbourne cost these days?"
Melbourne; home, epicentre, ground-zero and dead-end of Australia's 'national' sport, Australian Rules "Football" for twenty odd weeks of the year. (nb. Aussie rules is actually quite popular in Adelaide, Australia's second-largest underground town, and also in Perth, where the only alternative is professional drink-driving.)
Fortunately, Melbourne also has the highest-grade quality heroin available in the free world, rendering even the most soul-sucking, mind numbing AFL season relatively ease to cope with.
Melbourne's heroin quality is second only to the quality of it's water.
Scag-rat 1: "Mate, the footy's back here in Melbourne."
Scag-rat 2: "I know, but it's alright, I just stole this VCR. Let's go see Skinny."
A city located in Victoria, Australia. Not many people know that it was founded by the bounty-hunter John Batman in the mid 1800's. Its the second most populated city in Australia and is about half the size of London.
Melbourne is really cold
Melbourne in Australia - city incorporated (as a town, anyway) in 1842.
This is before 1892!
A city that exists in Florida, that no one gives a flying fuck about.
Melbourne has way too many palm trees.
read all the above and below definitions - thats melbourne.
now youve probably realised everyone from melbourne just spends their time feeling insecure by constantly telling you WHY melbourne is better than sydney - they always have to compare
they have an awesome street art and music scene
sydney kid - so yeah its pretty nice down in melbourne
melbourne kid - yeah like we have the many afl teams, the mcg, federation square, better weather oh and its all SO MUCH better than sydneys stuff. oh did i mention we're the sports capital of australia? oh and the afl?
sydney kid - right. but you havent won it for like 5 years?
1) A city Sydney writers go when they cant handle the local scene.
2) A city Sydney writers go where trains are easier to paint.
If you cant take the heat - move to Melbourne.
I want to do a whole train...I might head down to Melbourne this weekend.
Melbourne, Florida was incorporated before Melbourne, Australia. They are sister cities.
Melbourne is in Brevard County, the heart of Florida's Space Coast, near Kennedy Space Center. It is also the heart of surfing on the East Coast of the United States. Melbourne is just south of Cocoa Beach, home of the famous Easter Surf Contest.
This is a city with some growing pains, as it moves from being a largish town to becomming a city. Property values have recently spiked dramatically, and the bargain prices that once existed are long gone.
Melbourne, Florida was incorporated in 1892 and is the sister city to the city of the same name in Oz.