A scientific Theory (a Theory in science being the closest to certianty possible, wihile remaining scientific) That does NOT in ANY way:
speculate on the origin of life on earth or otherwise (see biogenisis)
speculate on the origin of the universe
speculate on anyting but the prosess of genetic change in a population
state that any instantant transformations from one spicies to another has ever occured
state that humans cam from monkeys (it does however state that we share a common ansestor see Ape)
detail how a geneome could change in a single generation (evolution happens over multiple generations)
state that humans are in any way above or below any other form of life
state that as spicies evolve, they become bigger, 'better' or stronger, only more adapted.
state that there is no God
state that I hate most of the other, misinformed definitions (although this is true)
affiliate its self with the opening of penut butter jars or puddels being struck by lightning.
affiliate it'self with nonbiological or non-self replicating matter such as boeing 747s and scrap
allow its self to be defined by the majority of the definitions on the first few pages
hate you (but I might)
comment any anyting remotly metaphysical like the soul
That just about ruels most of the top rated definitions, and that is my point, find out what evolution is before considering yourself in a position to define it. On the subject of irriducable complexity. here's a laman's guide to the evolution of the eye:
An organism developes a cell/cluster of cells sensitive to light through a random mutation, this allows the organism to distinguish between being in light and dark, giving it a few obviouse advantages over it's competing organisms.
This then developes into a line of cells, giving the population the advantage of detecting the direction this light is coming from.
The line then becomes gradually more concave as the spicies developes, giving it more and more sense of directon of the light.
the cells then concave to the point of being a ball with a 'biological appature' allowing the spicies to eventually see basic images.
the cells then evolve to detect different wavelenghts of light (colour) ect. ect.
Doesn't Evolution say we call come from monkeys?
Doesnt Evolution say that all the dirt in the universe was condensed into a region smaller than a period at the end of this sentence?
Absolutly fucking not!!! EVER!!!!!
A scientific theory that all life on earth descended from a common ancestor. Evolution has been repeatedly proven and observed time and time again, yet most of the morons writing definitions for Evolution on urbandictionary.com choose to ignore that.
Average Creotard/Mentally retarded redneck: Evolution b'aint be reel cuz dat der bibl tingy be sayin' su!
The idea that organisms change over time, and that is change occurs through natural selection which allows favorable traits to be passed along through generations. It has been refered to as a theory, which, in science, means it is an idea that has not been disproven. Many scientists are moving towards calling it the Law of Evolution, similar to the Law of Gravity, in order to help reduce frivolous claims that it is "only a theory" by people ignorant of what a scientific theory entails.more...
Some (especially miseducated critics) refer to macro and microevolution. There is no such thing. Evolution is evolution. Fruit flys, rats, frogs, etc., have all been observed undergoing character change in laboritories, resulting in the inability to mate with other members of the base species (the control), thus forming a new species. Several examples of so-called macroevolution (the change at a genus level) have been observed by biologists in the rain forest. Furthermore, good fossil evidence shows transition between genera, and even higher taxanomic orders (incorrectly called Kingdom, Phylum, etc. - current work in phylogentic taxonomy does away with Linnean ranks). Representatives of higher order change in the fossil record includes change with fish, fish to amphibians, with amphibians, within reptiles, "reptiles" to dinosaurs, within dinosaurs, dinosaurs to "birds", within "birds", "reptiles" to mammals, within mammals, and other mammals to humans. I am not mentioning invertebrates here...
1. The process by which one state changes into another. Anything which is not static evolves over time. The word evolution specifically excludes any connotation of improvement or progress, so even 'negative' changes are evolution. In biology, this definition is often observed in terms of the change of gene frequencies in natural populations. There is no controversy about this definition.more...
2. The theory that species give rise to other species. This process of speciation can be accomplished in a number of ways, all of which must result in two (or more) populations becoming genetically isolated. This can be accomplished physically (allopatry and peripatry) or through division of patch types or through behavioral mechanisms (sympatry). This has been observed at low taxonomic levels. For instance, wheat is a modern species resulting from 2 instances of non-disjunction and one hybridization event that all occurred within the last 5000 years. The original plant has been identified from seeds from tombs in Egypt.
The creation of new higher level taxa is often referred to as macroevolution by non-scientists, but this usage is incorrect. The only difference between the origins of higher taxa and species is time. Today's species will eventually give rise to genera as they continue to diverge from their sister-taxa and continue to speciate themselves. All higher taxa were once just a species. Macroevolution properly refers to selection that operates above the species ...
by anonymous Aug 27, 2003 add a video
1. In biology: Descent with modification. Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.
2. In everyday speech: A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.
1. Darwin's theory of evolution does for biology what quantum mechanics does for physics.
2. It is interesting to note the evolution in computers over the years.
In the beginning we were all fish, swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple of fish had a retard baby, and the retard baby was different so it got to live. So retard fish goes on to make more retard babies, and then one day a retard baby fish crawled out of the ocean with its mutant fish hands, and it had butt sex with a squirrel or something, and made retard frog-squirrel. And then that had a retard baby which was a monkey-fish-frog, and then this monkey-fish-frog had butt sex with another monkey, and then that monkey had a mutant retard baby that screwed another monkey, and then that screwed another monkey and then that made you. So there you go, you're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel, congratulations.
evolution explains how we evolved
How your pokemon change at certain levels!
"My Charamander got to level 16 and evolved into Charmeleon!"