1: A groupie of the two main political dinosaurs of the United States.
2: An air-headed baby-boomer, probably fried from a few too many joints and stamps back in the sixties. Not sure what they believe in, just as long as it involves raising taxes on "The Man," and pumping up their own social security package.
3: An opinionated, intelligent academic who is so intelligent, benevolent, and sheltered that they can't conceive of the existence of people who are not intelligent and benevolent, and thus espouses all sorts of wonderful ideas that are totally contingent upon everyone telling the truth and not being greedy bastards.
4: An ignorant kid (age 16-30), if college age, probably a political science or social studies major, who hasn't the slightest idea how stuff actually works, and thinks that wishing real hard is a viable way of getting things done.
5: Anyone who thinks that a government is a benevolent entity that will ensure you get what you need, often under the misguided impression that the same people who run the organizational abortions often referred to as the DMV, FEMA, and the IRS can somehow put together an efficient, low-cost, effective healthcare system. Thinks that taking 50 cents of every already weak dollar you earn is the best way to do this.
6: Anyone who believes that CEOs, COOs, and CFOs are kind-hearted patricians who, upon noting a tax increase on their corporation, will dutifully reduce their own salaries and bonus packages so as to prevent their workers, or god forbid, the consumers from paying those corporate taxes by proxy.
7: People who hate the Republican party for all the wrong reasons. Don't even get me started on the freaking Republicans.
Barack Obama is the 2008 Democrat candidate for the Presidency of the United States.
The United States Democratic Party. Usually characterized by beliefs such as:
- personal privacy rights, including legalized abortion and gay marriage
- protection of civil liberties
- protection of the enviornment
- multilateral foreign policy
- extensive government services, such as health care, education, and welfare
- tax system that causes the rich to pay more taxes to pay for above government services
There are currently 202 Democrats in the House of Representatives and 44 in the Senate.
This is a neutral definition of the word Democrat. Urban Dictionary should be about defining words, not advancing a point of view.
a member of the more liberal of the two major political parties.
this definition of democrat is not a rant
Apparently, people who aren't allowed to back up their point of view with evidence.
Republican: It's obvious the Bush tax cuts helped the poor more than the rich.
Democrat: Actually, statistically, the rich recieved almost-
Republican: Your numbers mean nothing.
Democrat: This entire issue is about numbers!
Republican: No, this is about the people! This is about Joe Everyman!
Democrat: What the hell are you talking about?
Republican: I'm talking about how you radicals use numbers to mislead everyone into thinking the Bush tax cuts were bad, and that we have massive debt.
Democrat: ...We DO have massive debt, and the average person got around $300 back, whereas the rich got-
Republican: Are you telling these people America is BAD? Are you saying that America isn't the best damn country ever?
Democrat: No, I just-wait, what? This isn't about me! This is about the issues!
Republican: Not responding to my questions. Typical.
Republican: See, clearly I have silenced you with my powerful, factual argument.
Democrat: I had sex with your wife, Bill.
Democrat: She said she wanted a man who didn't tell her she belonged in the kitchen.
1. One belonging to the United States Democratic Party
2. Tend to believe that government should come to the aid the most disadvantaged in society (see Unemployment Insurance, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security). We don't bring it up much, but it's what Jesus taught.
3. Belive in the separation of church and state, on the off-chance that not everyone in America is a Southern Baptist.
4. Doesn't believe that industries have the unfettered right to dump carcinogens into our water supplies. Also believe in protecting public health and worker safety.
5. Believe in strengthening public education, rather than gutting it with vouchers.
6. Belive in civil liberties and equal rights for all people, regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation; a Democratic President pushed through the Civil Rights Act even though it meant losing half of his party. That half, comprising mostly of racist whites, now overwhelmingly votes Republican.
7. Most have actually read the 9th amendment. Can also spell "amendment."
8. Represent broadest spectrum of the American public: women, blacks, Latinos, gays, Jews, seculars, immigrants, union workers, and yes, also straight middle-class white male Protestants like me.
If they were alive today, Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt would be Democrats.
Despite a wealth of good ideas, Democrats have allowed themselves to be intimdated by semi-literate meatheads called Republicans
A member of the Democratic party, one of the two major political parties. Similarly to Republicans, they blame all of the world's problems on the other party.
Stereotypically, Democrats are hippies.
The default political party to vote for when opposing republicans in a presidential campaign.
Voting for the green party is worthless, I'll vote democrat.
Those who vote based on irrelevant factors (id est, gender, race, charisma, et cetera).
"As a Democrat, I voted for Barrack, because we need a black man in the White House."