As of January 2007, the first female Speaker of the House. Elected in November 2006 when Democrats took control of the House and Senate. She has led the House Democrats since 2002.
She is a fairly strong liberal, earning a 100% rating from the American Civil Liberties Union, a liberal group, and a score of 3% from the American Conservative Union.
A brief characterization of her political positions:
- Favors implementing the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission
- Voted against the Iraq war
- Opposes drilling in ANWR
- Supports increasing the minimum wage
- Supports increasing Medicare and Medicaid benefits
- Opposes amending the constitution to prohibit gay marriage
- Opposes amending the constitution to prohibit flag burning
More details about her can be found on Wikipedia, or her official site, house.gov/pelosi.
This is a neutral definition of Nancy Pelosi. It tells people more actual information than a rant from someone who supports or opposes her.