1. A phrase that people use when they're not actually your friend.
(See also: John McCain
2. A phrase that people use when they are too embarrassed to admit they are talking about themselves.
3. A phrase that people use when they've actually forgotten your name.
1. "My friend, I didn't spend five years as a POW just to see the terrorists get the best of us. And we can't let my opponent get elected ...or the terrorists win
2. "Hey, I was just wondering... my friend went to Vegas a couple weeks ago and got a really horrible rash on his junk
after sleeping with a hooker, and he wants to see a doctor, but he's afraid his wife will see the medical bill and start asking questions. What should he do?"
3. "Hello, uhhh, my friend! How are you?"