1. Conventionally masculine. Describes a homosexual
male whose behaviour resembles that of the traditional heterosexual
male stereotype. Often considered politically incorrect (or even homophobic
) as a label, but can be used facetiously. May apply to gay males who exhibit conventional masculinity out of a genuine predisposition, as well as to those who affect it out of insecurity (sometimes to remain in the closet
2. The gay male equivalent of the lipstick lesbian
. As a social phenomenon, the "straight acting" homosexual breaks from gay stereotypes in a way comparable to the metrosexual
's defiance of straight stereotypes. (Both labels rely on stereotypes in order to be understandable, even as they describe non-stereotypical behaviour.)
1. "I've never considered myself downright flaming
, but my straight acting boyfriend makes me look sooo faggy."
2. "He's so straight acting he passed by my gaydar
3. "I hate the term 'straight acting.' I mean, who's to say that straight people aren't trying to act like US?"