Originally, jail lingo for a subservient, cuckolded inmate indebted to another for protection and in return obliged to perform favors both of a sexual nature and otherwise.
The term came to refer to the music and culture described above as young musicians and people in the late 70's and early eighties felt alienated by the incorporation of formerly anti-estaplishment hippie culture.
"Listen fish I didn't make sure Big Mink didn't shiv ya at mess for nothing. So now you better put on these pantyhose and get yo knees dirty right quick cuz you MY punk now, Betty..."
An adjective that she uses for him when he cleverly jokes with her. She doesn't necessarily dislike the joke; it's her way of acknowledging his humor.
Star, "When are you free?"
Sun, "After my civ exam."
Sun, ":) You DO realize that my Civ exam was over more than an hour ago ;p."
Star, "YOU ARE A PUNK!"
PUNK= PEOPLE UNDER NEW KNOWLEDGE
People who respect people who respect them. The fight for there own rights. They have great pride. They prevent chaos.
PUNK IS: the personal expression of uniqueness that comes from the experiences of growing up in touch with our human ability to reason and ask questions.
PUNK IS: a movement that serves to refute social attitudes that have been perpetuated through willful ignorance of human nature.
PUNK IS: a process of questioning and commitment to understanding that results in self-progress, and through repetition, flowers into social evolution.
PUNK IS: a belief that this world is what we make of it, truth comes from our understanding of the way things are, not from the blind adherence to prescriptions about the way things should be.
PUNK IS: the constant struggle against fear of social repercussions.
PUNK: people who fight the freedom and rights of human kind! pro nature!
Its Not just the way you dress, its a mind set. There are a lot of posers Just dress punk, to look "cool". But its really a way of life, the way you think and act, NOT just the way you look.
And old granny Not mowing her front lawn when the council told her to is punk
A very wide genre of rock started in 1977 that has a sound that has infleunced countless types of music some of which including: streetpunk, oi, d-beat, crust powerviolence, pop-punk, grind, indie, emo, screamo, hardcore, deathrock, 77, uk82, glam, hair metal, speed metal, and even sludge metal.
It is a label that is largely misunderstoof by the public (despite what they may think) and so overused that obvious fallacies to what the style is (fast, loud, and hard) have become accepted. Such clearly pop acts like Hilary Duff have been labeled punk which is downright laughable.
Punk has become too wide of genre to apply to any specific type of music now. Almost any band that plays fast, loud, and hard can be called punk, although not always correctly.
The punk music label has become simply a matter of perspective, for example: a common streetpunk might say that The Casualties are a punk band, while a crust punk would simply laugh at this, and then proceed to listen to Axegrinder.
punk is all about being yourself, liking what you like, doing what you do and not having to live upto someone elses expectations, only your own. there is no dress code, hair colour or rules to be punk, since punk is about being true to yourself.
chavs hate people they think are punks mainly because they are scared of difference and wonder why on earth someone in the whole world can use their own brain without having to chip into someine elses thoughts and feelings for a change
***punk music rawks =P***
1) "I don't care what you think about me Im happy doing what I do, let me live it man!" =P
2) chav: "oi geeza! hes a punk innit? he dow know dat da punks am dead n stuff haha (thinks to self I wish I was that independant just not using the word independant since they dont understand the meaning) Lets all go knock him ouuuw in fronta ev'ryone should be laf innit? *giant group of 400 scared chavs approch punk*
punk: "grow up ned! go get laid by someone who has actually developed tits!"
1. A "punk" was originally a tramp's young homosexual companion. In other words, a rent boy with no ethics.
It then mutated in meaning, via an insult connoting the same, to become a term for a ruffian (mid 20th century). It was in this sense it was used in Punk Rock from 1976 onwards.
2. TRUE: Someone who does what he or she wants because they like doing it, and not giving a fuck about what other people think.
3. FALSE: Someone who can't think for themselves, so imitates people from category 2 above, in an attempt to look kewl.
1. Punk was the English term for the French Apache - see George Orwell's Down & Out in Paris and London for details.
2. The most truly Punk thing that Johnny Rotten did was to quit the Sex Pistols and form PIL.
3. Busted were fake punks, who have now thankfully split up.