A music genre, mostly METAL
sounding (inspired by metal bands such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple), with a very slight touch of punk (NOT PUNK BASED) which originated in Seattle in about 1984 with the rise of the band GREEN RIVER
, who INVENTED it. Grunge was then mastered by SOUNDGARDEN
who released perhaps the most definitive grunge CD, ULTRAMEGA OK
in 1988, before they took a more straight heavy metal approach to their music (and incidently improved after each album). People often make the mistake that Nirvana were the "inventors" of grunge which is simply bullshit because they didn't make an album which got alot of recognition til 1991 (7 Years after the founding of the grunge genre). And Nirvana are often labelled the most best grunge band which is bullshit because ALICE IN CHAINS
are way better as are SOUNDGARDEN
, STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
, SCREAMING TREES
, quite simply because each of the bands mentioned write better songs including heavier, sludgier and grungier riffs, more skilful and ranging vocals, lyrics of grunge spirit and of course amazing drumming, complemented by difficult basslines as opposed to Nirvanas simple one note basslines.
Also, The Pixies, although a good band, are NOT the godfathers, or even influences of grunge. They formed after grunge had already been invented.
Black Sabbath are by right the godfathers of grunge, because they had the similar sounding heavy sludge riffs and vocals.
Some other great grunge albums worth buying are FACELIFT
by ALICE IN CHAINS
by STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
- Some Emo listening loser - 'Yo dude I'm a huge grunge fan!'
- Some TRUE GRUNGE fan - "What grunge bands do you like?"
- Some Emo listening loser - 'Nirvana, they are grunge, and they're the best'
- Some TRUE GRUNGE fan - "You're just a fucking retard, Nirvana didn't even fucking invent grunge and they're by far the most horribly overrated band of the grunge era, just compare their songs and their guitar solos
, and drumming to a kick ass band like ALICE IN CHAINS
. Buy the album FACELIFT
then see who's a better band you retarded fuckwit"
nirvana: kurt cobain, david grohl and krist novoselic
Blatant rip-off of the UK's great punk scene by where it was deemed o.k for students the world over to avoid washing, dye their hair purple, be depressed and go on and on about the world owing them a fucking living. Thank fuck it died on it's arse. Boooring.
Grunge = new punk?
The most gay music ever. The whole scene killed 80's metal, witch actaully had talent. I mean seriously thanks to gay bands like nirvana , alice in chains and janes addciton, we wouldnt of had that problem. And if grunge wasnt formed then i dont think we would have gay genres today like scremo or emo. So I blame grunge for the death of 80's metal and how singing about how they hate life so much can over power singing about having a good time. And the issue with listening to three power chords over real solos and actuall chords and shit.
Grunge guy: holy shit nirvanas playing tonight
Metal guy: Fuck nirvana i rather go see the skid row concert tonight
Another crappy genre of modern crappy rock.You can't tell one band from the next because they all sound so similar.Nirvana was the only grunge band worth a fuck.
Yup grunge sucked just like hair metal sucked and just like nu metal sucked and just like emo sucks now.
1. basically crap
2. basically crappy music listened to by liberal jerkholes all about "ooooooh my life is so depressing....its all about me .....im such a cockyassed bitch who only cares about myself......cry" They pride themselves in saying that they brought an end to hair metal but hey they didnt. Hair Metal's downfall was for the most part internal. They kinda killed themselves see my definition for hair metal
Grunge kid: Life sucks so im going to listen to my depressing music
METAL HEALTH!: you jerk its all about you isnt it you pussyassed bitch stop whining about your goddamn life al the time