1) The human institution by which a group of people
come together for protection, the gathering of food, trade, the raising of young, and through this, create, share, and spread a common culture
2) A large group of people who share a common culture.
3) Created by Sid Meier, a series of turn-based strategy computer games which charges the player with doing (1) to create a world dominant (2). Highly addictive and widely played. Used unwisely, causes the Civilization affect
, which has ruined many careers.
1) The savages realized that they could survive in the harsh world by living together and helping each other survive. They formed a civilization.
2) One thousand years later, the descendents of those savages had formed a set of morals and beliefs distinct from their fellows.
3) One of those descendents lost any and all hopes of becoming a dentist through the use of Civilization.
awesome strategic game in which the player(s) builds their own empire and wins by doing so the fastest.
i beat civilization.
1. Modern society and its conveniences.
2. An abstraction developed by human
beings which falsely assumes that the cumulative result of all collective actions engaged in by a majority of said humans actually means something.
If this is civilization, then I'll go live in the woods.
A society or condition of society that has risen above the state of savagery and barbaric practices, and shows a sense of justice and fairness, giving equality, rights and freedoms to all.
For example, native colonies who are kind and loving to each other, respect nature by giving back what they take, living in harmony with nature and the seasons, should be considered civilized. Whereas people who attack other countries and destroy their culture, exploit the Earth and destroy it, ignore their poor, kill their own unborn babies and even make it legal, spread pollution everywhere, showing greed instead of kindness and compassion, should be considered an uncivilized people. The classic example of an uncivilized nation, with all of the above savagery and barbaric behavior patterns, is America.
Mahatma Gandhi was once asked what he thought of "Western civilization". He said "I think it would be a good idea," emphasizing that the West has not become civilized yet.
A way of living that is based on and requires persistent and widespread violence.
Unless we destroy indigenous people, put animals into extinction, fill rivers with toxins and rape the very planet itself we will no longer be able to maintain this bullshit we call "civilization".
An ambiguous term often used to denote more complex societies but sometimes used by anthropologists to describe any group of people sharing a set of cultural traits.
Scholars agree that political, social, economic, and technological phenomena are indicators of civilization.
A collection of generally ignorant humanoids led and driven by their individual biological-sociological spiritual and psychological needs.
Andrea could no longer function within the constraints of civilation and committed suicide.