The shabby-arsed useless tit of an assistant who attempts to follow orders given to him by a Land Surveyor.
Chainmen tend to be:
1) students of the Surveyhood whilst gaining vital survey experience in the off peak periods
2) Career chainmen - nasty rabid, fly blown and flea bitten pieces of work who, for some reason, are all smokers and have filthy beards.
Chainmen (or chainpersons) are responsible for:
- Keeping the survey vessels (see rust bucket) in reasonable cleanly order and with appropriate amount of stocks
- holding the prism pole for the surveyor (as the surveyor can only be in one place at one time unfortunately...)
- Following orders from the surveyor
- Filling the air with cigarette smoke and the nasal twang of bogan accents
- Generally making a balls up of every possible situation
Surveyor: "My chainman didn't sharpen the brush hook for use in the field today."
Draftsperson: "So what did you do?"
Surveyor: "I took him out the back and shot him."
Draftsperson: "Oh, good!"
a ravaging psycotic beast of a man that carries on his person 120ft of chains weighing out at 80lbs usually bald or short haired showing signs of sleep deprivation, tends to smoke alot and drink liquor in excessive ammounts
Hey! looks its Chainman!