2. Popularized by an influential group of high school student's, who used the term copiously in their day-to-day speak, to denote many different forms/dispositions of interaction. Considering this, "88" has become highly reliant on identifying vocal subtleties and body language. The most frequent display of "88" body language is the act of shaping ones thumb, index, and middle fingers in to respective 8 shapes and then merging the 8s at the knuckles.
(When saying farewell): Catch you later, 88.
(When proclaiming a death threat on members of opposing factions): 88! Ride or die!
(When experiencing loss and/or dejection): Fucking 88 man.
mingtian jian (chinese: See you tomorrow)
2. Because 88 is pronounced in Chinese Mandarin language as "ba ba," (phonetically synonymous with the English "bye bye") it is used as a farewell in Chinese texting language.
3. Nazi skinhead code for Heil Hitler. H being the 8th letter of the alphabet, therefore 88=HH=Heil Hitler. Often found at the end of Nazi members' e-mail addressees and signatures.
4. The 88mm Anti-aircraft vehicle was a greatly feared Nazi weapon during WWII; because of this weapon, Nazi's were sometimes referred to as 88's.
5. David Lane, a convicted neo-nazi, wrote "88 Precepts," a book outlining the methods needed to establish an all-white community.
6. A word jazz pianists use to replace "piano." They call pianos "88s" because that is the number of keys on a piano.
7. In mathematics/philosophy, 88 is a double lemniscate used to represent the "dual-infinity." That is... the infinite, and the infinitesimal.
8. The number of official constellations (as defined by the International Astronomical Union).
August 08, 1988
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I check out that "88 Precepts" book you suggested to me, and all I can say is "wow! this it the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever read!"
Go do 88 with a fat chick, ya cunt.