"Them Jews man, what a bunch of big nosed cry babies, always banging on about the holocaust. It happened like a century ago, just get over it! Don't get me started on Israel! By the way, what's your name?"
genre of reading material that sits just below porn and to the right of music monthlies at your corner shop, usually featuring a bint with large assets on the front cover. It assumes (correctly) that its target audience cares only for cars, tits, lager and casual sexism, in approximately that order.
1. In football, to give the ball some welly from 40 yards out in the hope you will score a brilliant equaliser and be carried off the pitch by adoring team mates, rather than hit a defender or balloon hilariously over the bar, as you almost certainly will.
2. In a wider context, to refer to somebody having a jolly good go at something that they will inevitably fail at.
1. "We're into the 89th minute. Owen's got the ball, Geremi's to his left, and...oh dear."
"What can you say, Clive. The lad was going for glory."
2. "Did you see our Jeremy, chatting up that blonde bombshell?"
"Yeah. Got to give the lad credit, going for glory like that."
2. A tribe of indie centred around the piano-centric stylings of Coldplay and various copyists, e.g. Snow Patrol, Athlete, Embrace, James Blunt, Starsailor, Travis. Named by that respected and affable pillar of the musical community that is Liam Gallagher, they are generally associated with sensitivity, scarves and limp wrists.
1. "Better not put the good sheets down whilst Gran is around, Darren. She's a bedwetter and sensitive to that sort of thing."
2. "Better not put Rage Against The Machine on whilst Hubert is around, Darren. He's a bedwetter and sensitive to that sort of thing."