The greatest country in all of the Mediterranean, if not all of Europe. As stated on the other definition, Greece truly was the birthplace of Western Civilization and much of what we know today, including math, algebra, philosophy, architecture, and drama. This country has been rich with culture for thousands of years, and still is. It is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, including Balos, Myrtos, Paradise (fitting name, isn't it?), and many more. There are also cities in Greece that are famous for the excellent food and sight-seeing, like Athens and Thessaloniki. However, whether you visit a city or a beach, you're guaranteed an amazing time, and of course, wonderful night life. The Greeks know exactly how to drink, dance, and of course party well in to the wee hours of the night. The general mood here is very different from what many people in the USA are used to. Here, you stay up and sleep in very late, some times until noon during the summer. Everyone here is open minded, accepting, and friendly. Yes, we are proud, and yes, we hate the Turks. We are loud as hell and people think we're fighting when we go out. But it's okay, because we come from the greatest country GREECE and we aren't afraid to say it! EΛΛAΔΑ ΓΙΑ ΠAVTA!
YOU KNOW YOU'RE GREEK WHEN... (TO ΞEPIEΣ EIΣAI ELLHNIKOΣ OTAV...)
1. You're last name ends in -opoulos or -akis
2. You have at least 1 person in your family named Nikos/Nikki and/or at least 1 named Yiannis/Yianna
3. You know exactly what a kolomboi is and own at least 2.
4. You own at least 1 necklace/bracelet/other piece of jewelry with the evil eye on it.
5. When you were a kid, you got spit on every time you saw family- or any Greek adult you knew.
6. You attended Greek school for a minimum of 4 years.
7. You still are proud of Greece for winning the 2004 Soccer Cup and Eurovision in 2005.
8. You say My Big Fat Greek Wedding just to see if the family would remind you of your own. It did.
9. You get Greek TV on a satellite dish.
10. 4 words: Lamb on a spit.
11. You know exactly what it means when some one says "re" "vre" "po po po" "opaa!" etc.
12. You know Vodka is nothing compared to OUZO!
13. When dinner doesn't start until 9:30 PM at the earliest.
14. You know exactly what loukamadas, kataifi, name days, oxi day, and dolmades are.
15. When some one asks you your heritage... you stick out your chest, raise your chin and proudly say "I am GREEK!"