something that you love despite the fact that it consumes your whole life and that its basically a living hell.
its where you will have your greatest moments of your life. you meet the most perverted, funny people there that will be your friends for the rest of your life.
so pretty much besides all the fun you be having with the people you will have to know how to march. it A LOT harder than it looks. you have to think about so many things at once and it gets very, very confusing.
its very hard for the fresh man to learn how to march, and then you have to play and make little designs on the field too?
most freshman don't actually play while marching, just so they can actually march.
its a high school activity you will actually enjoy despite the confusion.
you love it so much you even like to march in the mud, rain, and the blazing hot sun at band camp.
you will learn to appreciate the dirty things in life, trust me.
you will love getting naked in front of everybody.
you will love the uniforms, no matter how many buttons and zippers they have.
you will have a family you actually like.
the band works harder than the football team, win more awards, and probably have more fun.
the best way to make friends your freshman year.
its a big group of amazing hilarious (yet perverted) people who can march in step, following a drill chart, while either playing music or spinning a flag/rifle/sabre
its One of the hardest sports that is often overlooked. yes, its a sport, get over it.
its pretty much one large family with lots of incest. Made up of the band, the drum majors, the band director, the colorguard and the, usually very hot, drumline.
it may be an excuse for not doing homework.
band members are subject to hear such phrases from the band director as...
1. "feet on the beat, feet on the beat"
3. "that's not attention!!!"
4. "this is a marching band, NOT a walking band!!"
5. "keep those bells up!! you're not waiting for a bus!!"
6. "left! left! left!"
7. "this is a fight song, not a lullaby!!!"
8. "come on, row that boat!!!"
9. "posture people, POSTURE!!!!"
10. "ARRGH!!!!" (and other crazy-pirate sounding yells)
in addition, students may hear various words and/or phrases from other students, such as yelling, chanting, and various profanities
1. What people see: A group of people who devote every minute of every day to memorizing music and learning routines. They spend hours doing nothing on a bus to competition, work their asses off, sweat a TON, and get back on the bus. They sit on the bus being tired, sore, and unable to breathe because of the smell.
People wonder why we do it.
2. What really goes on: A huge family of band people spend their free time memorizing music and learning routines, with much cussing and perverted comments in between. They spend hours on a bus playing truth or dare, laughing, joking, sleeping, and making out against windows. They perform in HOT uniforms, sweat to death, but can't help but smile as they listen to the roar of the crowd. They climb, exhausted, back onto the bus, where they proceed to throw full water bottles at each other and have chugging contests. Many people sleep, and wake up soaking wet. Others continue to make out and play truth or dare, all while stripping, and in the case of the girls, sitting around in sports bras. They go home, sleep for 24 hours straight, and wake up eager to do it all again.
One band member in the marching band says, "You know, I actually DO have a life outside of band." The others look at him, look at each other, then one screams "Blasphemer!" and they all chase the rogue out of the bandroom.
"NO, I'M NOT MARCHING DOWN THE HALLWAY!" "ooh... well maybe i am"
"Band Ten' Hut (BOOM)......Band Horns Up (AND UP)......Mark Time Mark Lift Left - Left - Left Right Left -- Left - Left - Left Right Left......Forward March And......"