A meme is a theoretical unit of cultural information transmission that is reproduced (i.e. produced over and over again) on a large scale by active agents whose means of appropriation rely on the interplay between (pre-existing) biological, socio-cultural, and technological formations or assemblages.
A meme is:
- A theoretical unit of cultural information transmission that is indefinite.
- A widespread reproduction or re-appropriation of an existing cultural ‘thing’.
- Not just a veracious imitation according to one’s ability to perceive and copy.
- Not a reactive emotion (although emotions are often involved in the meme-process).
- But instead: a reproduction that is inferred by pre-existing knowledge and human intention.
- Dependent on biological, socio-cultural and technological formations.
- And on pre-existing memes that have already been circulating through culture.
In contrast to what prevalent notions of the meme concept suggest, including Dawkins, a meme cannot be viewed as a contagious entity which 'infects' people when crossing their paths. Although some ideas, concepts, or practices may be more attractive and have a greater chance of being appropriated, memes do not act in the same manner as biological viruses.
The Urban Dictionary Mug
One side has the word, one side has the definition. Microwave and dishwasher safe. Lotsa space for your liquids.
Buy the mug