1. A small cake originating in Scotland
2. Derived from the Scottish Gaelic word "Sgonn" meaning a "block" or more precisely "Sgonn arain" meaning a block of bread. Due to this, the correct pronunciation is "Skon". The earliest record of a scone dates back to the early 16th century in Scotland.
3. Commonly served with clotted cream, strawberry jam and a cup of tea. More commonly known as a "cream tea".
4. There are derivatives of the word "scone" in Scots language where the word is also pronounced "skon".
5. Can also be known as a biscuit in American English.