A tiny, insignificant part of Canada that suddenly (due to it's recent oil boom) thinks it is the most cosmopolitan, hip, flourishing place to be.
While it's true that there has been a lot of economic activity since the late 90's, there are other cold facts Calgarians don't like to brag about:
- population less than 1 million (that is a small city)
- conservative politics (need I mentiond Harper?)
- completely DEAD nightlife (Electric Avenue blows)
- no diversity in employment (either you sell real estate
or you are a redneck working on the oil rigs)
- only white people live there ... i.e. no authentic
cultural experiences like food, art, social diversity
Canada has 3 important cities: Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver. There rest are strictly peripheral.
Dude: "how was the job hunt out in Calgary?"
Bud: "great. I can live here a buy a house ..."
Dude: "what the problem then?"
Bud: "Nothing to fucking do! I'd rather get back to Vancouver or head to Toronto where there is a real night life ... this place blows dog!!!"