Also known as the "Freshman Fifteen," this refers to weight (typically 10-15 lbs 5-7kg
) that first-year college undergrads often gain. The process is multifactorial, but contributing factors include:
1) Greasy dorm cafeteria food.
2) The readily available pizza and fast food in most college towns.
3) Being forced to eat 3 large meals a day, rather than being free to graze.
4) The fact that many Freshmen who did participate in sports in high school do not continue with their athletics in college.
5) Increased alcohol consumption (alcohol has 100-200 calories per drink, more for sugary liqeurs like Irish Creme).
Incoming Freshmen who are concerned about the Freshman twenty should talk to a doctor or nutritionist to learn about helpful tips for avoiding weight gain.